Sunday, January 20, 2013
Wow! What a week! I started off in Rochester for a routine check up with Neurology. We (Mike and I) went up on Sunday evening and stayed overnight with his brother, Jeff. Originally we thought Jeff had to work but due to "an epidemic of wellness" on his floor he had the night off. Funny thing though...since I thought we were staying in a hotel I didn't pack my blow dryer since they usually have them in the room. When it was determined en route that we were staying at Jeff's I told Mike my little dilemma. He couldn't understand the problem so I had to make it a little clearer...why would a guy with 15 hairs on his head own a blow dryer?!? As it turned out, after I hit the hay at Jeff's, Mike told him about this and he went out in the garage and dug out a blow dryer that was at least 10 years old (the plug in didn't have that tester thingy they all have nowadays). He said he hadn't used it in at least 10 years and that was probably for thawing something out he was working on in the garage. It did its job though and we all had a good laugh. After my appointment, the three of us went out for brunch and then we headed for home. I kind of wanted to get back so that I could make it in to work in time for the open house that afternoon/evening as the remodeling is officially done. I got to work and what to my surprise -- the state inspectors were there. Of all days for them to come, the day we are having our open house. Everything went fine and they got done on Wednesday with their inspections and it was one of the quickest reviews EVER. There were two very minor deficiencies and the director of nursing said it was the best review we have had in 20 years, the inspectors were very impressed with our facility and our staff so that is something to be proud of. Of course as is the case with every state inspection, the fire marshal soon follows and was in the facility on Friday. As far as I know everything went fine and the only outcome was that employees can no longer have the Scentsy electric warmers or any other similar products. That doesn't really break my heart any so it's no big deal.
Tuesday I went to the dentist for a check up. My regular hygienist was on maternity leave and I must say, her replacement was ROUGH! She was a tiny little thing but man could she inflict pain! I also had major x-rays that show all the roots, bones and even sinus cavities -- something like 18 views. Everything looked good, no cavities and she only had to correct one area of bite problem from some work she did earlier this year.
We did lose another community member this week. Ted Conway passed away and his funeral was on Thursday. Mike and I went to the visitation since we graduated with Mark and we know Christie and also I work with Ted's friend, Mary Zeigler. Ted has not been well for a few months and exactly what he had I just don't know/cannot say. Mark said that last Tuesday his dad said that he was just tired and ready to go and be with his wife/Mark's mom, Mary. They put him in the hospital that day for comfort measures and he went on hospice care later in the week. We are seeing more and more classmates losing parents...I'm fortunate that I still have mine around but someday I know that too will end.
On Thursday I had Mike give me a ride to work since I knew parking would be at a minimum due to the funeral at the Lutheran Church which is just across the street. I decided that after work I would have Gabby come pick me up and we would head off to get groceries. It ended up being Micah to come pick me up as Gabby picked up a few hours at work. We got our groceries and grabbed a bite to eat and headed home. I no sooner got the groceries hauled in and changed into my jammies and the phone rang. It was my sister and she needed a substitute for their card club. Soooo...I went and put my bra back on and slapped some clothes on and went and played cards. That is a different bunch of women...they're all (except one) way older and kind of boring. There was NO ALCOHOL and not a lot of joking around...kind of dry in more ways than one! At least I knew I wouldn't be out late!
This weekend has been one of housecleaning and preparation (both physical and mental) for our upcoming trip. Mike, Micah and myself are going on a bus trip with a group from our cluster of churches to Washington D.C. for the March for Life. This is really not something I have ever done before and I am not a person who can quote statistics on the numbers of abortions, etc. but I just believe that it is wrong and find it hard to believe that others can't see what it says about the value (or lack thereof)our nation has for life. So, the long and short of it is that we are going to be part of the March for Life on this the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade and pray that society will wake up and, more importantly, speak up for the more important right of the unborn...that they have life and have it abundantly.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment