Friday, February 22, 2013

Stormy Weather

All week the buzz around here has been the oncoming storm. It all started on Sunday when Brenda Smith told me that her dad said we probably wouldn't get our new keyboard delivered to the church on Friday because it was going to storm. From then on, talk of the storm "snowballed". Curt Gast kept informing us at work with e-mails of the upcoming winter weather (I think he missed his calling as a meteorologist). So, we've all been trying to batten down the hatches for what was promised to be a blizzard.



Nonetheless, I made plans to go to Des Moines to see my niece, Bobby. I haven't had my hair cut since before Christmas and it is driving me mad! I also haven't had it colored since just after New Year's and I am getting some 'root' issues going on! I asked my sister to go along this weekend but nooooo! She's going to Janesville to visit her granddaughter, Ellyn, who turns 1. I can't believe she would choose her over me!

Not only does this precious little girl have a birthday coming up, but she also had some excitement this week. My nephew, Justin, was heading to work with the little one in the car to take to daycare and he hit a deer. The car was drivable, but basically the car was totaled. But I guess she didn't notice anything at all, probably thought it was jolly good fun!

Wednesday night Gabby and I ventured out to Mason City to stock up on groceries for the big storm. We ate at Applebee's...had a delicious steak and grilled veggies. Saw a lot of other people's yummies that looked good but we are trying to have a good Lent and get some of these extra lbs. off. After eating we went to HyVee and filled the cart in the produce department. It is so fun to see so many choices that we just don't have locally. After that we went to Target to stock up on water, laundry detergent and fabric softener (kind of sound like Kevin McAllister in Home Alone!). When we got home, we realized that Mike was bowling so we had to carry ALL of that in the house ourselves! Arrgh! I miss not having boys living at home -- was kind of like built in grocery boys.

Finally the day of the big storm approached. All day everyone looked out the windows and Curt's e-mails popped up notifying us as to the progress of the storm. I got home and Mike was nowhere to be found. Alas he was bringing home his new (slighty used) semi and grain trailer. (Sorry no pics...kind of a busy day!) He said it was great except for one thing...the heater didn't work! He didn't want to go back because it was starting to snow pretty heavy there and he wanted to drive out of it. He was kind of an icicle by the time he got home! He had to then shower and eat some supper as he is on ambulance call this week from 6 p.m.-6 a.m. Of course the snow was just coming down so pretty and it was piling up. He climbed into bed around midnight and a little after 1:30 the pager went off -- roll-over south of Duncan. As he was getting his clothes on the page for the fire department went off too. So that left me with nothing to do but lie there in bed and pray for those in the accident and everyone who is out there braving the elements to help. Finally -- I don't know what time it was -- Mike appeared in the bedroom door. I was so glad to see him and said, "Good! You made it!" He looked pretty glum and said, "Yeah, but someone else didn't." He told me about the accident and that the victim was one of our neighbors and someone who was in high school with us. After getting everything off his chest, we laid there in each other's arms but there was no sleep to be had. Mike decided to get up and push snow around and so I got up and cleaned up the kitchen and did a little laundry.

Brenda and Father Miller and I all communicated via text and phone about the keyboard. It was put off for delivery until Saturday morning and the rep will make another trip so he can in-service all of us. I can't wait to play with it! We have used the same keyboard at church for probably 20 years. It definitely has seen better days. I think Brenda has researched all its capabilities so hopefully she can do the figuring out and just show me how to run the thing.

Can't wait to hit the road tomorrow for Des Moines and see Bobby and also see how much snow they got. I think I heard there's more snow coming early next week!!!!!

No comments: