Friday, February 2, 2018

Last Day in Paradise

Thursday morning came along with the roosters crowing and the realization that this was our last day on the island. Sigh. The plan was that now that we have snorkel gear, we would try going to Salt Pond Bay as we had heard so much good about it. We got up and ate a light breakfast and packed a beach bag and hit the road. Once we got on the main road to Salt Pond Bay we noticed that the water was quite rough that day and wouldn't be good for snorkeling but as the saying goes, if it's rough on one side of the island you can pretty much be assured that it is smooth on the other. We turned the Jeep around and headed back to pick up the cooler and stopped by Pickles Deli to pick up a sandwich for later. Then we proceeded to go back to Maho Bay to see if it is calm and good for snorkeling. We got settled in and today I took care to cover those sunburned areas!!!




Mike gave snorkeling a try. He couldn't get the mask to seal because of his moustache so he had to keep emptying the snorkel mask. We found out later that this could have been remedied with vaseline on his moustache and then that would have allowed a seal to have been made. Also, since Mike's feet are flat they kept cramping up when he would kick with the flippers. He did get to see a few turtles and some other fish but is not sure he would do it again.

There was an adorable family on the beach that day with the cutest little kids. It turned out that they were from Peoria, Illinois. Finally someone from the Midwest!! They had the cutest kids' water toys -- I wanted to play with them! When we got back to the villa and were visiting with Jared we mentioned them and it turned out he knew them! Small island, I guess!

Once the day at the beach was done, we went back to the villa to clean up and go out for some chow. We went to the restaurant that was the Donkey Diner on my last trip and now is known as Indigo Grill.
This restaurant advertised itself as having fusion food, whatever that is. I ordered Cuban sliders and since they were out of fries, they served them with tots. Mike had the special for the night Chicken Brody, which he describes to everyone here as a chicken burrito. It was Indian seasoned chicken...kind of had a yellow-orange color to it...along with potatoes in a homemade naan which reminded Mike of a burrito. I should have taken a picture of it but I'm just not that much of a foodie. We ended the meal by sharing a piece of Key Lime pie.

After leaving the restaurant it was time to go home and pack for the trip home. Evenings kind of were a little slow. I brought my kindle but I brought the WRONG kindle and it didn't have music, movies or games downloaded onto it so the one I did bring only had a couple of games and after a while you get tired of solitaire and gin rummy.




So this was pretty much our evenings around the villa...after 32 years of marriage, what did you expect?

No comments: