Tuesday, November 15, 2011

November 15, 2012

Even though we set the clocks back, I don't seem to have found the hour that we were supposed to gain. I'll keep on looking though!

The calendar is starting to free up again. I got through my egg salad experience for Catholic Daughters. I was asked to bring egg salad for the soup supper for about 15-20 people. Oh great, I hate egg salad! So, I do what every daughter does, asks their mom for some help. She said, "Egg salad?!? I've never made egg salad, I hate egg salad!" That's when we got on the horn and called her good friend, Lola Eisenman. She gave all the step-by-step instructions, even telling me how to 'correct' it if I happened to get too much vinegar and mustard in it (like I would know, I don't know what it should taste like!). So I got my eggs boiled and peeled and just dug in and started throwing in the ingredients like Lola said. I couldn't even bring myself to taste it, just took it without knowing what it would be like. (When my mom found out that I did that she nearly had a coronary!) It must have been okay, all the egg salad sandwiches we made up were gone and I even got a couple of compliments on it, which I accepted graciously while trying to keep a straight face.

The rest of the week went pretty smoothly. Friday was a day of great ups and downs. On the one hand, the Eagles got the win at the UNI dome and move to the state championship game. On the other hand, my co-worker's mom had an MRI and her radiation treatments for her brain tumor are not working and her mother decided to cease any further treatments. It was an emotional day and has been even this week for Kim. They admitted her to the Britt hospital on Friday where she remained until today and they were going to move her into Westview as she can no longer stay in the apartment on her own. My heart always goes out to families who have to face this difficult decision of moving a loved one to a nursing home but especially in Mary's case since she is so young.

The weekend turned out to be one I had been waiting for...nothing scheduled, or so I thought. I did get to bum around the house on Saturday, tidied up a bit, did a little laundry in the a.m. Mike wanted to go to Rochester for the farewell party of his brother. Joe and Dawn are moving to Scottsdale, Arizona as he has accepted a job there at the Mayo clinic in Arizona. So we left a little after one and I, of course, took the opportunity to shop. I only went to one store, New York and Company. I had an on-line coupon that was good only this weekend and since the weekend shopping crowd was out in full force, that was the only store I was willing to muster going into. After that Mike and I went to supper with his other brother, Jeff and then all three of us went to the farewell party in Byron. We were mindful of the time and ended up getting home at about 11:30 since mass was bright and early the next morning.

Mass was a little frustrating. No singers that Brenda had asked to be there to help lead the singing showed up. Soooo, that meant I was the songleader at the last minute. I always learn the responsorial psalm just in case this occasion arises (which it has happened frequently) but some of the songs are songs that I play so often that I've forgotten how to sing them. It went all right but in prattling about worrying about the next piece of music that was to come along, I wasn't able to enjoy listening to Fr. Miller as much as I like. That's the frustrating part.

Today Mike and I went up to Rochester again -- I had a check up with Dr. Cascino. Everything went well but I found out that not only does the medicine not do any favors for me in the weight department, apparently it makes me "irritable". That's what I get for taking Mike to my appointment with me. We did have fun with that piece of information though. I warned him, "You think I'm irritable now, just wait until menopause strikes!" This irritability factor was something I hadn't known about -- nobody said anything to ME about it. Gee, I wonder why?!? :P

No comments: