Overall, this was a very enjoyable week. The town was abuzz with football game excitement. Mike was rushing about to get ready to go out East. I was anticipating the weekend when I could have time to do whatever I wanted...to a point. The week kind of crawled by. My Dad got his stitches out of his chin and found out that both spots that he had removed were malignant. The area on his chin will need to be further excised so we'll see what Dr. Unger says when he sees him for his recheck. On Thursday after work I went as promised to my folks' to help them make popcorn balls to send to Gabby with Mike and my nephew, Dan. I got there thinking that all that would be left was to stir in the "goo" and form them into balls. WRONG! Dad was having, well, a hard time getting the popcorn to pop. His Stir Crazy was driving him crazy. Every other batch was good and the others would scorch and not pop at all. I tried bringing my machine in and it did the same thing. We concluded it was either his electrical outlets in their kitchen or the popcorn. Finally the job finished at about 8 p.m. Whew!
Friday finally arrived and most of the town left for the Big Game. Mike and Dan were going to hit the road for Virginia after the game was over and I stayed behind and worked (it's kind of fun when hardly anyone else is around...you get so much more done when there's not anyone there to bother you!). I did get to listen to the game on the radio at work. They fought the good fight but unfortunately it was not meant to be.
Saturday was my one day that I jut got to sleep in! I woke up at 4:10 a.m. but was able to get back to sleep and slept until 7:39! I got up and decided that I needed to get something accomplished so I started going through my closet. It was good to try on pants that I had pushed to the back and have them fit again! It is not a question of whether to keep the clothes because either they do or don't fit but because a)I do or don't like them, b)I don't wear them any longer or c) they just aren't in style any more. That's kind of a good feeling to have that accompished.
In the morning, I told Reed that I wanted to go out to a movie with him. He chose "Jack and Jill" and we left for Mason City a little before noon. I let him pick the restaurant for lunch...the "new" McDonalds by Willowbrook. After that we got some odds and ends at K-Mart and then headed to the movie. It wasn't a bad movie, it just wasn't as funny as I thought it would be. I think the previews had all the funny parts in them.
Sunday came and we were up and "gussied up" (I even had pantyhose on...that doesn't happen every day!) and ready to head to Dubuque. Fr. Miller asked us to represent St. Patrick's at the 175th Anniversary Celebration mass. We got there a little after 11 and picked up Micah (we were a little early so we had to wait for him). I picked the restaurant today. Every time Mike and I go to Dubuque, we drive past this restaurant called 'Crust' on Main Street and wonder what it's like. We went today and I would definitely go back. Upon being seated, the waitress brings "dough balls" with marinara sauce. We ordered a pizza and I had a side salad. They also had pasta, salads and sandwiches on the menu, oh, and wine. They were very friendly -- the waitress complimented me on my dress and said they all were admiring it as they watched us cross the street. Good thing I didn't trip!
After lunch, we had some time to kill so we drove past some of the pretty houses in that neighborhood and Micah guided us past the Vianney house. We stopped at Hartig drug. It's kind of a local version of Walgreens. Micah thinks they have junk there but I like to look at all the jewelry and household decor, etc... After that we headed to the cathedral as we knew parking really stinks there.
The mass was pretty awesome. It was nice to sit and enjoy everything as it unfolds and not have to worry about things like, "how many more bars of music do I have to play before he finishes incensing the altar" Also, I realized in the middle of mass, that this is the LAST time our responses will be this way. Next week, we will all have to be on our toes (even the priests) as we learn the changes.
Once the mass was over and the packet of info was picked up for our parish, the boys and I headed for Micah's dorm where Reed and I changed into our comfy clothes and got ready to hit the road. I drove to Waterloo where we stopped at Taco Bell for a quick bite and then...brace yourself...Reed drove home from there. I had him take Hwy 20 as I figured it would be less busy than the Avenue of the Saints and he is not so used to four lane driving let alone driving at night in unfamiliar territory. We made it home at about 8:30 and boy was Mugsy glad to see us drive in the driveway! The dogs had been outside all day and were glad to get back in the garage as it was starting to get cold.
Mike texted that they are starting their trek back to Iowa. I don't envy them that drive!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment