Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Day in the Big City

The day started like any other day this vacation -- with me getting up and around late and missing the free breakfast! Oh well, the boys assure me I'm not missing much. By the time we got going it was a litle after 10 and when I texted Gabby that we were on our way, she was just jumping into the shower. So off we headed, with Micah as navigator once again, to Washington D.C. Talk about traffic! We weren't even on the road during any of the rush hours! Union Station was Mike's destination for some reason and after a little circling, we finally found a parking garage. We walked into Union Station and it was well after lunch time and the boys were hungry. Guess what was spotted immediately upon walking in -- the golden arches! Guess where we ate -- Mickey Ds! I had to desparately find a restroom first. We finally found it and just outside the restroom door was a lady puking in the garbage. Really? She couldn't make it around the corner and into the bathroom? Blech!

Once lunch was done, we headed outside to see what we could see. We got out to the mall in front of the capitol building. It was COLD! Luckily, Micah spotted a sign that said Capitol building tour entrance. That's where we headed and after being put thru airport like security, we went in and stood in line for the tickets to have a short movie and guided tour. They really have all of this down to a science and it is very well choreographed. They have the earphones that let you hear your tour guide and she was really a very good guide. We got to see one of Iowa's two statues there. I'm not even sure exactly who it was even but it said Kirkwood so since Gabby attended Kirkwood we made her pose by the statue. There was even one of Micah's favorite presidents -- Ronald Reagan.

After the tour, we decided that we really didn't have the time to see much else besides what is on the mall area plus the fact that I was FREEZING. So we headed back to the car (that sounds easier than it really is!). Once we got to the parking garage elevator, Micah whispered to me "Could YOU be the navigator now? I can't take Dad anymore!" I answered, "No way!" So I whispered to Gabby, "Could you be navigator now?" Actually, I didn't leave her any choice. So we got to the car and set the Garmin for the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception.

We found the Basilica relatively easy, it's just the parking that is always the tricky part to find. We got there and the sign on the door said that it closes at 6 p.m. Mike, being the smart-ass that he is, said, "See, we could have still taken a bus tour and had time to come here." However, I was redeemed when we went to the information desk and were informed that they were no longer giving tours for the day, but we had some time to walk around the church on our own and that there was a 5:15 mass in the crypt chapel that we were welcome to attend. We took advantage of every moment we had to look around and I could have looked even longer. I would like to go back and take the tour and hear all the interesting tidbits, but maybe next time.

Of course it was all decorated for Christmas and the upper level looked just like it does on television. Everywhere in the church, every side altar on every level, every swag, every bough and piece of garland, every tree was real. It was beautiful. I can't imagine the monumental task of decorating and keeping all of those plants & flowers thriving. One of the side altars, Our Lady of Sorrows, had two poinsettias that were as tall as a small tree. Look in the picture for yourself! I would just love to know how they get them to grow so tall!

We attended the mass and it was different. They actually have music at all their daily masses as well. It was a test for how well I know the new changes! They did have a few Order of the Mass booklets in the pews but they were kind of hard to follow, especially for the Gloria. It was in two sizes of fonts and believe me I do not have it memorized! There were all kinds of people there, some women of different religous orders, some who even had their own little editions of the Roman Missal with them. One man sat in the front row on the opposite side from us and kneeled and bowed with his hands together the whole mass. The only time he changed from this position was during the Lord's Prayer when he opened his arms as if he was on the cross and during communion when he walked up front to receive the eucharist. There were a few others that I sit and wonder what their "story" is. I wonder if people sit and watch me and wonder, hmmmm.

After mass was over, we headed out, Gabby still the navigator and decided we would drive to Fredricksburg before we stopped for supper. Amazingly enough, Mike is very patient with Gabby. When it is Micah or myself in the "hot seat", he is talking at us with his clenched jaw, high pitched voice in a moderately loud volume. Not so, with the Gabster. Even when she misses a turn, oh, it's not big deal. If that happens to Micah or myself, all hell breaks loose. Guess we know who Daddy's little favorite is!

Once we muddled our way down the road and got to the three lanes full of traffic, we finally made our way to Fredericksburg, and none too soon. The back seat is REALLY tight with two big guys and one little me! Gabby decided on Bob Evans for supper. Micah stepped outside his chicken strip world and had a Farm House Bacon Cheeseburger. He devoured the entire thing! Reed had chicken and broccoli alfredo, Mike had chicken noodle soup, salad and their homemade buns, Gabby had salmon filet, mashed potatoes and broccoli and I had a turkey bacon melt. It was pretty good although we have been eating far later in the evening than I am accustomed to. I don't even want to face that scales when I get home!

Tomorrow we need to get packed up and head out to Gabby's for a little while before we head to the airport and return the car and once again go through my favorite -- airport security! Hopefully this time I can make it through without getting the "pat down". OH, I forgot! I was a "random search" at the Des Moines airport on the way out! You know that was just profiling -- I'm just so darn good lookin'! Anyway, I'd better get some sleep, we have another long day ahead of us!

No comments: