Sunday, January 1, 2012

Back to Routine

Thursday morning we awoke and got everything packed and ready to fly. Our flight didn't leave until 4:30, so we were going to Gabby's to spend the last of our visit there. I had spotted a little Walmart behind the hotel on the first night we were there and had Mike stop there to pick up some food for lunch and a couple of things I spied that Gabby needed. I picked up two heavier cookie sheets and parchment paper. In my mind, I had decided to make tuna and potato chip casserole for lunch. Since we have three hungry guys in the family, I picked up three LARGE cans of tuna and one family sized can of cream of mushroom soup to make enough for all. We grabbed a bag of lettuce and some rolls in the bakery department and we splurged and bought a bouquet of flowers for Gabby.

Upon arriving at Gabby's I went to work mixing up the casserole and trying to find dishes and utensils that I needed, which is always tricky in someone else's kitchen. Reed did a few dishes from Gabby's breakfast and we hung a pair of curtains in the kitchen and I started a little load of laundry and folded what was in the dryer. When Gabby finally stopped for lunch we all ate together at her kitchen table, definitely the most people she's had at her table ever! There was just about enough tuna casserole left for a 'snack' for Gabby later and pretty much everything else was gone.

After talking about when she is coming home next -- Easter -- we decided we needed to probably hit the road. We had to top off the car with gas and return it and get baggage checked in and get ready to head home. We got back to the airport faster than we thought and so had plenty of time to sit and wait. Our flights were pretty much on time and we arrived in Des Moines about 8:45. It was rainy and yucky the whole way home from Des Moines. We arrived home a little before 11 and I headed straight for bed as I was going to work bright and early the next morning.

Friday was a day back at work and it felt kind of good to be back in reality, plus it was just for one day before a three day weekend! Upon getting back home, Mike had fixed the laundry and it has taken the entire weekend to catch up on the laundry for all of us. I need to get everything caught up for Micah as he leaves to go back to Loras tomorrow for his J-term.

In between loads of laundry on Saturday, the boys and I went to get groceries and when we arrived home I cleaned bathrooms (yuck!). Mike and I decided to go out for supper to the Hillside in Wesley. It wasn't as busy as we thought it would be but we did see some people that we haven't seen in a while and had nice visits. Mike had sirloin steak and I had shrimp. Their salad bar is always out of this world and it didn't disappoint this time either. We must be getting old as Mike turned in even before I did on New Year's Eve!

Today brought a normal Sunday with morning mass but this time we came home afterwards and Mike made breakfast while the boys and I began tearing down Christmas decorations and cleaning and getting as back to normal as possible. We did head back to town this afternoon as we went to the visitation for Kay Pistek. I hadn't seen some of her kids for so long! I really feel bad for her granddaughter, Kathleen, as she recently got engaged and this should be a joyous time with getting wedding plans worked on while she is at home for the holidays. She was quite close to both her grandparents and I can tell this is difficult for her.

After going to the visitation, we went to my parents' house as I had promised to take down their Christmas decorations this weekend. I really just wanted to come home and take a nap, but I promised! With Mike and Reed along, everything came down and got put away lickety-split. I put her dishes away as well and Reed vacuumed the living room quick-like before we left. When we got home I made pizza rolls with the bread dough I had set out after we got home from church. We had bought turkey pepperoni and Canadian bacon so Reed made the Canadian bacon one and I made the pepperoni one. I knew these are Micah's favorite so had to get these in before he went back to college!

Just taking the rest of the evening to veg out. I was hoping I would be able to do that all day tomorrow but Mike and I will be going to the funeral in the morning. It sounds like it's going to be a cold and windy day though.

Happy New Year to all my blog readers out there! Hope it's a good one!

No comments: