This week I found myself "muddling through" since I had a cold and was my head was congested and my eyes were watery and puffy all week. I took sinus night-time medicine each night so that I could get some zzz's and Sudogest each day but each day found me at work sniffling and having a bad case of the 'drips' every time I looked down (kind of hard to do detailed work without looking down!). As it turned out, I had it mild as my brother-in-law ended up in the hospital overnight for fluids and IV antibiotics but ended up with the diagnosis of Influenza A. Of course, his wife, a.k.a. my sister, was out of town so his son, Dan, was left here to care for him AND to run the shop since he was out all week. After a week of baby granddaughter spoiling, my sister has come home to all the loveliness and is now caring for her beloved husband and will be back to work this week.
Monday night was actually good weather for traveling to Forest City for my series of Catholicism classes. Carol Thompson and I are sharing a ride and this was the first time we have actually had good roads to travel. We ended up dodging the predicted snowfall which was to occur this week. Instead of snow, we got our precipitation in the form of rain on Wednesday. We even heard a little thunder with that rain.
Tuesday arrived and the majority of the town of Britt headed to Des Moines to watch the girls play at the State basketball tourney. Mike had his pig buildings to fill up that day and I had an EMG study to go to in Mason City. I hadn't seen Dr. Hayreh in quite a few years and it was a little awkward at first since he was my neurologist and had treated me for my seizure disorder but I now see Dr. Cascino at Mayo Clinic. He asked how my seizures were doing and what medication I was on. He then asked who i was seeing and I told him. He seemed to know Dr. Cascino and said he was a good doctor (duh!). We then managed to chat through the whole EMG study as his former secretary is my friend and current supervisor. Actually I recruited her while I was at a visit to see him. He used to wear a turban and have a long scraggly beard. Mercy policies required him to trim his beard and so a few years ago he removed the turban, cut his hair and trimmed his beard. He looked pretty good, don't know why he didn't do that a long time ago! (His wife probably says the same thing!) All in all my carpal tunnel is in its early stages so he told me to tell my boss (Andrea) that I need a month's vacation -- ha, ha! So it's keep on with the splints at night and Ibuprofen and we'll see how it goes. After I was done there it was lunch time so I had to pick somewhere that isn't too weird to go to when you're all alone -- Taco Tico! I picked the right place as almost every booth in the place was occupied by single people eating lunch. After lunch I stopped in at Hobby Lobby for a little something to put up on Reed's wall in his room (picture later!) and then off to Target for a few various items. Lastly, it was the dreaded Walmart to pick up Reed's new comforter and shams. While I was there, I picked up some curtains for Reed's room as well and then checked out. It was pouring when I headed out to the car! I survived another Walmart trek and made it home safe and sound.
Micah made it home for his "spring free days". He got to stop in at Janesville on the way home for a preview of the baby. He confirmed what I suspected...Ellyn is pretty sweet. I can't wait to see her at Easter! Micah went to see the oral surgeon on Thursday for a consult for his wisdom teeth extraction. Turns out he only has two wisdom teeth and they will be taken out after the semester is over in May.
Thursday night after I got home from work, I announced that I was in the mood for pizza and since we can't eat meat on Friday, I thought we should do pizza on Thursday. So the men all cleaned up and we piled in the car and headed to the Other Place in Clear Lake for pizza with MEAT on it! It really hit the spot. We then went to pick up a few things at Target (the second time I was there this week!)
On Thursday night, I made the decision that I was going to sleep in and not attend mass on Friday morning so I texted Fr. Miller and told him I was going to be a sloth in the morning but that there was one Catholic inpatient if he wanted to stop in and visit them. I was still stuffy in the morning and instead of Sudogest, decided to take some other allergy decongestant that offers 24 hour relief. This worked much better and I was able to function pretty much normally (if you can use that word to describe me!). I promised Micah I would make salmon patties and white sauce for supper so I whipped that up as soon as I got home since we were all hungry due to a light and meatless lunch. All was devoured so I guess the meal was a success.
Saturday I REALLY slept in! I wore my splints to bed which makes sleep rather difficult at best. I woke up at my normal 6:05, went to the bathroom and removed my splints and crawled back into bed...until after 8. Then the TV came on and I didn't get out of bed until after 9. I decided that the boys and I would tackle the housework together and head to Mason City. Mission accomplished -- clean house. Micah, Reed and I headed to Mason City and stopped at Arby's in Clear Lake for lunch. We then headed to Slumberland for a couple of high quality pillows for Reed as promised. I then went to exchange something at Hobby Lobby and then, for the third time in a week, stopped in at Target. I almost considered wearing the glasses with a moustache disguise! We grabbed some curtain rods and then headed home. We got home and I ironed the curtains and hung them up. Mike hung up the letters above the bed. Reed and I went through his clothes (I have a ton of clothes for either the Smith boys or Opportunity Village!) We got the new pillows in their pillow cases. Everything is in its place now and looks great. It is definitely a room Reed can be proud of!
We rested up just a little and Mike and I went off to sub in a card club. Mike made carmels since we were going to the house of the gal who was really disappointed when I didn't bring carmels to card club this year at Christmas. These people REALLY are serious 500 players. We played progressive which meant we got to be partners with everyone. It also means we played 11 hands of 500!!!!! I'm more used to going to card club to SOCIALIZE! Needless to say, I am thoroughly sick of 500 and unfortunately have to play again at ladies' card club on Wednesday. Maybe by the time Wednesday arrives I'll be recovered!
Micah headed back early Sunday afternoon and called us and said he got in the ditch ... but he got out again by himself. I don't know if he just drives too fast on slippery roads or if he is jinxed! Haven't heard any more from him (or from the State Patrol) so I am assuming he got back to Loras in one piece.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment