Sunday, May 20, 2012

Home Again --- FINALLY

Friday morning we woke up early and left Seymour, Indiana at 7:25. I drove first and got us around Indianapolis and Gabby took the wheel after our first potty break and caffeine fill up. We reached the Mississippi river at nearly noon. Once we got to I380 north, we unplugged the Garmin and decided to stop in Cedar Rapids for a late lunch at Olive Garden. From there I drove home. I've got to say we saw more road work in Illinois and Iowa than we did the entire trip.
Upon arriving home, we found these beautiful flowers on the table with a "Welcome Back" card. Reed had supper in the oven and had made a decadent chocolate dessert. Reed was outside and came up to greet us and helped Gabby carry a couple of things in. Before I even had the chance to go to the bathroom, the phone was ringing. It was my mom checking to see if we were home yet. She was so relieved that we had made it back safely. When Mike got home, he kind of was reluctant to say just which of us the flowers were for, but when he took the picture of us with the flowers it became pretty clear they were for his little girl. I guess I need to be gone longer for him to miss me more. After a good night's sleep, Gabby and I headed to Clear Lake. I got some flowers to plant at Opportunity Village and then bravely headed to Fareway for groceries...on a Saturday no less. On our way home we stopped in Garner at Alco as my mom wanted two funny birthday cards. One for my co-worker Kim Hillenga who turns 40 and the other for a friend of hers that she exercises with, John Garman who turns older than dirt or something like that. There was to be a surprise party for Kim that night so I needed a card for her too. After getting done with that we were completely starving. Gabby called Mike and told him we were hungry so she took their orders for subs and we brought home Subway sandwiches for lunch.
Once we were done eating we all sat down to watch a little television and visit. It was then that the phone rang. I noticed Micah's cell phone number on the caller ID so decided it was safe to answer. Wrong. Micah was frantic, "Mom, I have a deep cut on my arm!" In the background I could hear rumblings of other people sounding like they were all running around like chickens with their heads cut off. Apparently, Micah was carrying his dorm fridge out to his car when it slipped and sliced his arm. The people in the background were all trying to decide what to do...does he need to see a doctor...who's going to drive him there...??? Finally Micah said that the college nurse was on her way to take a look and that he would call me back. When he called back, he gave the phone to one of the R.A.s and she said that the nurse felt it needed stitches and that they were taking him to the hospital. Micah then talked to me and wasn't entirely enthused about the idea but knew it had to be done. I reassured him and told him to call me if they needed insurance info. As I sat there thinking, I decided that I might as well hit the road now as I was unsure if he would be up to driving. Mike was on ambulance call until 5, so I asked Gabby if she felt up to another road trip. We grabbed our purses and hit the road for Dubuque. When we got to Clarion, Micah called my cell phone and told Gabby that he had received 8 stitches and was given orders for no lifting with that arm. I asked him if he wanted us to come for sure and he did not decline. Three hours later, we arrived in Dubuque and drove up to the Rohlman parking lot at Loras. From there, Micah directed me to park closer to the door, we had some loading up to do. Gabby and I loaded the "attack refrigerator" into my car and then we headed up to his room to haul the rest of the stuff down and ended up packing both Micah's car and mine. I'm not quite sure how he thought he was going to get all of his stuff into his car. Gabby drove his car and I gave her my credit card so she could fill up with gas and also told her to get the car washed. Micah and I took off and he wanted to stop at .... McDonald's. We were going to get his prescription for antibiotics filled but Gabby had it in the car she was driving. I called her and told her to stop at Walgreen's and get that filled as she had a copy of our insurance card with her. After Micah and I ate our supper, we hit the road. It gave us a good chance to catch up with each other. I got to go through the wonderful road construction by Waterloo twice in the same day. We did see three deer run in front of us on the way home. That kind of broke the monotony! Since all I have done for the last four days is travel, I vowed to stay home today except for church. When we were all laying around after church and reading the paper, our stomach's started to growl. I suggested that Mike make omelettes. So he and Gabby went in to get all the fixin's ready and we all had omelettes and English muffins for brunch. Gabby and I both took naps today and I also tried a new recipe that I plan on taking for treats this week to celebrate a co-worker's birthday. I got some meat out of the freezer for supper and Reed said, "Aren't we going to Jacob Patterson's graduation party?" Super! I sent Mike and the boys to the party for supper and since Gabby had gone in to see Grandma I spent a few hours in peace and quiet. I watched the rest of Talladega Nights, made a chicken wrap and sampled the lemon brownies. I also cleaned and conditioned the leather recliner and chaise. Now the whole crew is back and we are just chillin' before the week begins.

No comments: