Friday, May 18, 2012
Operation Get Gabby Home -- Day Two
Thursday, May 17th -- Gabby and I left the hotel parking lot in Ashland, VA at 8:50 a.m. Gabby drove first and we headed across Virginia and West Virginia on I-64. Not much highlights to this -- we just drove and drove. At a little before noon, Gabby said she was getting hungry (and had to go to the bathroom) so we were on the lookout for somewhere to eat. We came upon some signs for food and gas and lodging and decided upon Hardees. It's funny, when you're driving through those mountains and trees you don't think about people actually living in there. Once you take that exit and start driving down the two lane highway to get to the town you just can't believe that it actually exists because you can't see it from the interstate.
After lunch we filled up with gas and I took the wheel. Of course I get more curves (slow down to 55 mph on the interstate) and hills and hollers -- oh, and two toll booths. They weren't so bad, just $2 a pop. I didn't drive as long as Gabby yesterday. after 180+ miles my eyes started to get dry and scratchy and of course you can't plop eye drops in while you're driving. So I pulled into a rest area and we got out and stretched and took care of business. Gabby offered to drive after that. Our goal was to get to Indiana before filling up again. (Since Gabby's gas gauge is broken we just kind of have to guess when it needs a fill up. We had 325 miles on the car and put in 12.8 gallons) When we got to Louisville it was between 5:30 and 6. Luckily the lanes going in to Louisville were okay but looking over at the lanes of traffic trying to get out -- OMG! All three lanes were bumper to bumper and not moving at all. Everything went fine for us and we soon crossed the line into Indiana. We drove for a while and stopped for supper at a Cracker Barrel. I've got to say, that waitress saved me tip money if nothing else. She brought my drink (Diet Coke, of course) and said that she was pretty sure it was diet, she tasted it before bringing it out and it tasted right. Uhhhh, maybe I'm not THAT thirsty! Anyway, Gabby and I had salads and bought a little barrel of fudge to take to eat at the hotel room. I drove from there and we ended up in Seymour, IN at a Holiday Inn Express with nice comfortable rooms and nice looking rooms as well. Our goal is to get on the road by 7:30 in the morning. G'nite!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment