Monday, August 16, 2010

Hobo Day Withdrawal....NOT!

My dream finally came true...we spent our first Hobo Day OUT OF TOWN!! I think Mike felt a little bit guilty Saturday as we were headed south on R35 and were meeting all the people headed into town for the parade. I, on the other hand, was not bothered in the least. I was really looking forward to getting to Gabby's and spending some time there with her. We got to her place and did some odd jobs around her apartment that she and her roommate really don't find the time to do and some that just need a guy to help out. I know it sounds weird, but I really thought it was fun to get things accomplished side by side with Mike. I wish he could get into working like that as much as I do. It was a little to my advantage that Gabby does not have television or internet at her apartment so he was not distracted from the tasks at hand. His cell phone didn't even ring once! The apartment really looked nice and had a more "homey" feel to it when we were done. Gabby spent most of the day out in the stables cleaning out stalls and feeding horses. I can see where she would be too pooped to do a ton of major cleaning when she gets in at night.

We could have stayed with Fr. H in Gilbertville, but Mike made me an offer I just couldn't refuse and we stayed at a hotel instead. I guess he is testing out the waters for the "empty nest" thing that we will be facing next year. Maybe it won't be so bad after all!

On Sunday we went to mass at Gilbertville and surprised Fr. Huber. Afterwards Gabby, Fr. Huber and Mike and I went to the Olive Garden for lunch. We had amusing conversation as is customary when Fr. is in your presence and after returning him to his place for an afternoon nap, we returned Gabby to the horse farm so she could clean out two more stables and start evening chores. No rest for the wicked I guess!

The boys and I went to Mason City after I got done with work today. Micah needed to pick up his glasses at Wal-mart and he picked up a few things for college. Famous Footwear was having a buy one-get one half off sale so both the boys got a pair of sneakers (wow, that term really ages me a bit!). Micah is truly his father's son. When deciding between two pairs, he asked which one was cheaper! I think he is getting more than ready to head off to college. He is becoming short with all of us here at home and has "had about enough" of my sarcasm. He has communicated with his roomie a little so that is good. His roommate is a football player for Loras. I wonder if they still have obvious "athlete" majors in college as they did "back in the day". If they have some actual brains, their major is business administration. If they have half a brain, their major is physical education. If they have #*%) for brains, their major is home economics. Hopefully that is not the case any more as it doesn't do anybody any favors.

Looks like a nice, short week for me as Friday we are heading to the Iowa State Fair. Food on a stick doesn't really matter much, as long as I get my cup of warm chocolate chip cookies and carton of milk for my afternoon snack. I also need to pick up my Iowa State poster! The fair just wouldn't be complete without that!

No comments: