Friday, August 27, 2010

Time to start anew




Well, that day came and went. Wednesday afternoon, Micah and I took off together for Dubuque in his car with Mike to follow in the Expedition later. Micah handed over the garage door opener to Reed and they said their good-byes. They haven't been apart for longer than a week in years. Now Reed gets us all to himself, like it or not. I think it will definitely be a big change for Reed as it will be for all of us.

Micah and I stopped at McDonalds in Clear Lake for supper on the way. I couldn't help but think back as we sat there and ate our supper of how it seemed like just yesterday I was juggling all three kids in that same McDs, getting all of them settled in their highchairs and booster seats. Thank God for Gabby, their little second mom, who would take care of one of the little boys and I would get the other (usually the heavier one -- Reed). Now there we sat, Micah all grown up, no more Happy Meals. Even a Mighty Kids Meal is not enough any more. Where did that time go and what happened to that young mommy?








Woke up Thursday a.m. and got off to a busy start. We had a meeting at 8:00, got Micah's parking permit, turned in scholarship $$$, unpacked Micah's stuff and bought books before noon. We then went out to eat lunch, went to Wal-mart to get some munchies and other stuff. Got back to the room and organized a little. It will be interesting to see how long it stays organized and what kind of housekeeper Micah will be.

Micah was already starting to add appointments and "to do" items to his daily planner. I think I need to add "don't worry about Micah" to my "to do" list, easier said than done. Everybody tells me it will get easier with time. I'm sure that applies for both of us.

Later in the afternoon we had Convocation before it was time for us to say our final good-byes. Part of me thought he would be running down the hill after me but he didn't. It was kind of like that feeling I had the day that Micah told to get off to work and that he didn't need me to watch them walk all the way into the door when I dropped them off at school. I can still see him "shooing" me away as I drove off down the street. It was hard to believe my little boys didn't need me then and now are needing me less and less. I guess it's supposed to happen that way though.

My garage is sooo empty now without Micah's car in the other half. It isn't big enough for the Dodge Ram that Reed drives so I guess I will just have to get some cute little convertible or something to fill that void. Hmmmm....



No comments: