Sunday, February 20, 2011

Weekend of Family Fun

Seems like it's been a long time since I last posted but can't recall anything major that's happened. I did shock the socks off some of my friends with my nose piercing and I still am getting the "Did it hurt?" question from a few. I haven't really had any negative comments. Just my kids being a little shocked that their old mom would actually go out and do such a thing. I don't think I have to worry about them going out and doing anything quite so foolish. It took Gabby 23 years to get the courage to pierce her ears and that was a majorly traumatic event!


Valentine's Day definitely did not suck this year. Mike, Reed and I went shopping on the Saturday before to Mason City and they let me take my time and go to the stores I wanted to go to. I did let Reed choose the restaurant for lunch and he chose Applebees. We bummed around the mall as I wanted to stay and see the big reveal of the makeovers for the W.O.W. event at the mall. Sondra (Sankey) Lampe from Britt won a makeover and she was so excited that I really wanted to be there for her big reveal and show her my support. They took a few inches off her hair, colored it and she got the dreaded eyebrow wax! My niece, Bobby, and I are telling her that now she has to keep up the eyebrow wax and it won't be so bad. She vows she will and since she works at the hospital, I can nag her if she renigs!

When we returned home, Mike offered to take me out for supper. We went to Fat Fanny's, which is the restaurant at the Britt Country Club. Have to say we were a little disappointed. Not a great selection and the entrees were a little too...different. Definitely not the typical Midwestern restaurant selection and really not "manly" food. We got plenty to eat and actually ate later in the evening than we normally do so we went to bed feeling "full".

Valentine's Day came and as I was getting ready for work, I made the remark to Mike that today is the day that Kim, Ruth and I sit there and watch everyone else get flowers from their sweeties. In the middle of the morning the fellas from the Flower Cart arrived with their bundles and, lo and behold, there was something there for me. The thing was that Mike had already ordered them on Friday and took in one of my vases for them to use (I can't believe he actually remembered that tip I gave him!). His own handwriting was even on the card which really impressed all the ladies. I knew he couldn't have done it that morning as he left town early to take a friend to Rochester to see the doctor. I texted him on the cell and when he talked to me later he admitted he had a most difficult time looking me in the eye that morning when I talked about watching everyone else get flowers! It was a very pleasant surprise and I kept them at work all week to enjoy.

With such a beautiful week of weather to enjoy, I kicked the dogs out of the garage and vacuumed the car out. I am discovering that it takes a LOT less time to clean out the inside of this car than it did the Expedition! I can't wait until it is really spring so that I can thoroughly detail the inside. It took a little bribery but I got Mike to wash the car one day while I was at work. He noticed a little inflation at the car wash -- $2 a cycle now! I know the car just gets dirty again the minute I drive into my yard but if I drive really s l o w then maybe I can prolong it. There is just nothing that beats driving a clean car!


Friday finally arrived and my side of the family had a Family Bowling Night. My niece, Bobby, came up from Des Moines with her two boys, Austin and Aiden. My sister-in-law, Janet, and my (oh I hate to say this term) great-nephew and niece, Jake and Kate Hejlik and their dad, Jason, my sister and her husband, Pat, my nephew, Dan along with Mike, Reed and I met up at the bowling alley for some bowling. Sondra Lampe and her family joined us for a little while up there too. Imagine my surprise when upon scouring for that perfect bowling ball, I came upon the beloved 'PB 106' ball that all of us high school girls would practically scratch each other's eyes out for during high school bowling class! It still exists. To add to the surprise, my older sister (12 years older) revealed that they fought over the same ball when SHE was in high school. That thing is a relic! I did use it for bowling but it seems to have lost its magic...or maybe that magic only works when you are a certain age! Believe it or not, I seem to have pulled some muscle in my left gluteus maximus and have been limping around all weekend from that stupid bowling nite! We did have a good time though!

Mike was thrilled to see Miss Kate. It just seems like she is growing up so fast! Somebody had better have another baby in this family (NOT you Gabby!). Maybe Justin and Beth will make Deb a grandma yet! It was also good to see Jason again and catch up with him a bit. I think next time I'm going to bowl in the same lane as Kate and use the gutter guards though!

Dan "The Man" Trulson showed off his superb bowling skills. He showed his "granny bowling" form and his superior multi-tasking skills of talking on the cell phone while bowling. I'd like to see him text while bowling next. He'll have to get to work on that one!

Bobby had to bring Grandma up her coat. Long story short, (if I can), Bobby wore this coat up the last time she was visiting Grandma and Grandma fell in LOVE with it! Bobby went to the store where she got it but they didn't have any left in her size. She got on the website and located it at a Cato's in Sioux Falls, SD. She called them and had them hold it for her and located a long lost high school friend who lived nearby to go and pick it up and mail it to her. In the meantime, I went to Cato's while in Des Moines a couple weeks ago and this coat was on sale and they had one in MY size so I got it. Mom was so jealous when I strutted in her house in that coat! Little did she know that one was on the way for her! So we had to get a three generation pic of us in our matching coats. It was kind of a last minute "nose pierce" addition to the picture. I had some little jewels from a sweater that had them on it (you know, from those annoying little plastic bags you get that are attached to the clothes you buy!). We put the jewel on my mom's nose with some Carmex just for the pictures. As is the case whenever we are together, it was a hoot!

Judging from today's weather, our taste of spring may be over. When I got up this morning, it was raining with lightning and thunder and by the time we got out of mass it was a sleety mix coming down. Fr. Miller cancelled the Garner mass this morning and I could tell he was in a hurry for our mass to get done. I think he just wanted to be home before anything worse hit. Can't say that I blame him. We just came home and vegged out. Mike has been napping, I watched the movie "Up" and am trying to think of what I can do next. I'm sure I can come up with something...if nothing else I could just crawl right next to Mike and nap with him! Sounds pretty good!

No comments: