Tuesday, March 1, 2011

It's all good!

I survived being a "snowmobile widow" for a few days last week. Mike and his brother, Jeff, left for Wyoming late Sunday night for a few days of play. I wondered about them as the weather was not real great when they left but they've driven in worse. Boy was my house quiet for the next few days. I got so bored in the evenings that I actually went "online" on facebook and chatted with several friends and family members -- usually I just try to hide when I'm on so I can navigate in peace and if I want to contact someone, I just message them. I got to 'chat' with Gabby and Micah, my niece, Bobby, Fr. Huber, my cousin, Vicki, Hannah Huber and even a little with my ex-nephew/third cousin, Jason (that relationship sounds a little redneck doesn't it?. One evening I went in to visit my parents. Of course, Mom had a few little "jobs" for me to do. They're nothing big, just things that she has trouble with like putting dishes up on higher shelves, folding blankets, hanging jackets etc... I got her house all ready for the cleaning lady to come the next morning. Maybe someday when I'm in my 80s I'll have a cleaning lady!

Thursday morning the phone rang even before I could get out of bed, the phone was ringing. That always kind of gives me a start, but it was Mike saying they were on their way home and should be home later that night. I told him it was a good thing he called when he did, now I knew I had to shave my legs! ;) They made it home safe and sound and I think he has the snowmobile thing out of his system for the year anyway. It's good to have him home again. Even if we're not engaging in conversation constantly, it is just a good feeling to know that he is near.



The weekend arrived and after mass on Sunday, Amanda asked if she could PLEASE come over to my house. I kind of figured I would have her over as we had been trying to schedule a "get-together" for a long time now but between busy schedules and crazy weather we had not been able to get that accomplished. Her parents and siblings went to a family mass for the Faith Formation program at Mason City so I had her at my house from 2:00 until 9:30. We started off by making some goodies in the kitchen. She had a hankering for Scotcheroos so we whipped up a batch and I showed her how I shaped them into balls and dipped them in the chocolate instead of making them in bars. That kept her little hands busy for a while and it was a tasty treat as well!




After the kitchen was cleaned up, she decided we needed to paint our toenails. We soaked our feet in the "bubbly" bath and exfoliated them and then I polished hers and mine as we watched the movie "Garfield". She carefully ran into the kitchen to grab a couple of scotcheroo balls to eat as we watched "paint dry".

Once the toes were dry, I got out the UNO cards. She had never played this game, so Mike, Reed, Amanda and I shuffled up and dealt the UNO cards. It took a while but Mike ended up defeating us all. After the game, Mike and Reed got ready to go to the pep rally for the West Hancock girls' basketball team as they prepared to go to the state tourney. Mike had to give a little speech and presentation but Amanda and I decided to just stay home.

While the guys were gone, we once again went into "spa mode" and did facials. While the masks were settling, I put some supper in the oven, a mini pizza for Amanda and some little quiches for myself. We also decided to plop in Toy Story 3 and after taking off the masks, we ate our supper and watched the movie. It was getting to the really exciting part at the end and I looked over and... Amanda was out like a light. I must have really tuckered her out. Sheryl called when they were on their way home and she arrived to pick her up around 9:30. I hope she slept when she got home!

Monday was quite a busy but overall fun day. It was the financial end of the month at work so we were trying to get all charges entered in a timely fashion. As a highlight to my day, Fr. Huber and Fr. Dellaert were in Clear Lake and had asked Mike and I out for lunch. Mike went to the ball game but I knew Brenda Smith would enjoy going so I called her up to see if she could make it. I didn't have to ask twice and we ended up in Garner at the American Espresso cafe dining with the Frs. and catching up on this and that. We had a leisurely lunch with good friends and enjoyed hearing stories about their past experiences and current lifestyles. Fr. Huber and I had to give each other sufficient crap. BTW, he is doing that stupid beard thing again! We'll see if anyone in Gilbertville will give him enough crap about it to get him to shave it off. Maybe I will have to put Gabby on that task!

The evening brought another 'adventure' for Brenda and I. We went to a workshop about the new Roman Missal revision which will be implemented this Advent. The diocese doesn't have much for answers as the revised mass setting music is not all finished so right now there are very few to listen to. Just another challenge for us all. As they said at the workshop, the "two-timers" (Catholics who come to mass on Christmas and Easter) are going to have a rude awakening! After the workshop was finally over, Brenda and I headed to Applebees and had a drink and shared some appetizers and talked some more.

Monday was also a winning day for the WH Eagles as they did end up winning their first game at the state tourney. Their next game will be Wednesday night so you can bet the whole town is excited and abuzz.


Mike and Reed took the truck down to the game on Monday and surprised me by coming home with....the chaise lounge! Aaaahhhh! I didn't even have time to sit on it on Monday night as I had to get going to the workshop and by the time I got home I had to get to bed so that I could start everything the next day all over again. I couldn't wait to get home from work and lounge! I am definitely a spoiled girl.

No comments: