Thursday, March 24, 2011

Not much to new happening since the last post. The only thing I did remotely to celebrate St. Patrick's Day was to text Fr. Dellaert and wish him a happy St. Patrick's Day. I think I may have caught him in the confessional as he texted back "Mass in 10 min....more later".




On Friday I took the day off work to accomplish a few nonsensical things, namely income taxes. Mike, Micah and I arose early to go to mass and eat breakfast at the Hobo House. Afterwards, Mike and I headed to Mason City to render the verdict to Uncle Sam. Yuck! We will be going back in a couple of months as our corporation year end is March 31st. More fun!




Friday night was the opening night of the play, so Micah went to watch and witness Reed in his "curtain" skills. Mike and I stayed home and watched the movie "Date Night". It is a really funny movie and Mike is a huge fan of Tina Fey (I'm not sure if it is because she is incredibly funny or because she does an uncanny Sarah Palin).

Saturday morning came and I had to drag myself out of bed (I really wanted to just curl up and watch my favorite show, "Sell This House"). I made a couple different kinds of cookies since the cookie monster was home. I made snickerdoodles and chocolate chip cookies. I didn't like the way they turned out but that doesn't seem to stop them from eating them! Maybe I'm out of practice, but they just didn't turn out up to my specs. Once I got the kitchen cleaned up from baking in the afternoon, I noticed it was getting very close to time for me to get ready to go to the play. Guess what? Mike was nowhere to be found! Soooo, I went to the play by myself and sat with the other culture widows. Oh well. The play was just okay, nothing to write home about. It was kind of a play within a play...you watched actors acting like actors rehearsing for a play. Kind of weird.

Sunday morning brought mass and rain. It really was the first time we have heard a hard rain on our new roof at church and it is LOUD! However, the roof did NOT LEAK! After church we decided to do something different for breakfast and we ventured out to Hillside in Wesley. They have a delicious buffet with eggs, sausage, bacon, biscuits and gravy, cheesy potatoes.... I could go on but I won't. We had enough to skip out lunch and have a light snack for supper.

Micah had to depart for Dubuque in the early afternoon. I sent along some cookies and a bag of M & Ms for his sister. That way he would have to stop in and say 'hi' and stretch his legs a bit at the halfway point. She was surprised to see him but welcomed the treats.

I am somehow enduring my Lenten penance of no facebook. I have found that instead of spending time on my computer and facebook, that it is just as much fun (if not more) to cuddle with Mike for a while in the morning. As long as I hit the showers by 7 I can still make it to work by 8. Much better than a snooze button!

Mike is contemplating going to the Annual Catholic Men's Conference in Cedar Rapids on April 16. Jokingly, I said I could go with him dressed like a man. He joked that my nametag could read 'Chris T. Hejlik'. No one would be the wiser...right? Anyway, he has but the feelers out to some people but we'll see.

I am seriously starting to plan Reed's graduation party. I got him to settle on a time for the party. At first he wanted to have it the day before but now we have settled on Sunday, May 22nd after the ceremony. Now I have to get invites ready, menu planned, a few decorations out. Oh noooooo...I forgot that I will have to sew up one more t-shirt quilt! I guess I know what I will be doing with my PTO days!

We have had a couple of deaths in the community. These people are people I remember not only from growing up but from my early days at the clinic when we all were much younger. Frank Tovar, a gentleman from Crystal Lake, passed away after a long hard bout with cancer. I remember when he and his wife, Joyce, were first married. They were such a sweet and loving couple. Also, Anna Tjarks passed away. I went to school with her youngest daughter, Deb. Deb was a couple of years older than myself but we did hang out since she was good friends with my friend, Linda Schroeder's sister, Julie. (Did you all follow all of that?)

Construction is underway at the hospital (again). They are adding a bigger physical therapy area on the ground floor and a second floor addition to make all rooms private rooms. We are surrounded by mud to the north and have been hearing a lot of jackhammers and feeling a lot of shaking. It's always exciting to have something new but I really do hate the mess part of it all.

On Thursday, we had a community up in arms. Forrest Eckels left his son's place of business, the Cobbler Shoppe, at 10:30 a.m. to head home for lunch and was missing the rest of the day. A fisherman found him on a gravel road leading up to a lake in New Ulm, MN. Luckily his car got stuck in the mud before going into the lake. His son went up to retrieve him and he is now in the nursing home here in Britt. He seems to have taken it well and realizes this is what is best for him. His other son, Wayne, had just returned home from Colorado where he had his carotids cleared as he had blockages that caused loss of vision and arm paralysis while visiting his daughter there. Apparently he will have to have the other side done in 6 months. It's funny how these this happen to people who seem so well. Wayne bicycles and skis and seems very healthy. You just never know.

No comments: