Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Summer's over!

Who cares what the calendar says -- summer's over. School is back in session, Micah is back at college and it is back to just the three of us at home. Reed said he is kind of missing school. I think he just needs some structure in his life again and we will see what we can do about that. Some things just take some time and we are working on that.

I muddled through my first full week back after vacation. Once I got back and got my memory quickly refreshed as to just what it is that I do for a living, everything all flooded back to me. My co-workers at least gave me a whole day before starting to bring their "problems" for me to solve. They claimed to have missed me so that makes me feel a little better.

Gabby even made a day trip home to see us a couple of days after we got home from Boston. It was nice to see her even if it was just for a few hours. Mike made some homemade ice cream and I made some blonde brownies and we had my folks out for treats and to visit Gabby. I also showed them the pictures from our vacation on my computer. Dad seemed to like to see the pics of the U.S.S. Constitution and the dry-docked ship as he served in the navy.

Kind of looks like we got away from the east coast just in time with the earthquakes and hurricanes! I texted Rachel on Saturday and she said that at that time she was just getting rain in Boston. I hope that Fr. Angelos' retreat with Pope Shenouda went well. There was supposed to be a gathering of the priests from North America at the vineyard on Sunday, August 28th. I wonder if they could all get there since the airports were probably not open. I'll have to get in touch with him soon to see how all of that went.

After mass on Sunday, I seized the opportunity to get a little quick housework done so that I could then relax and enjoy the rest of the day and read some of a book that was given to me and browse through a magazines and some catalogs that I had received earlier in the week in the mail. My little cleaning frenzy apparently didn't settle with Mike as I ended up walking on eggshells for interrupting "Market to Market" and never got to take it easy and read as he took all my reading materials and hid them. Oh, well, there's always another day for that.

We are starting this week with a few funerals in our community. Dorothy (Weiland) Smith passed away last Thursday, Sarah Mattoon passed away last night and Sue Brooks is at hospice in Mason City if she hasn't already passed on.

Can't believe that August is over already and we are closing the books at work for the month. It seems that time just seems to fly! I have even been guilty of starting to let a couple of thoughts of Christmas pop into my head...just the planning stages of different things, but still -- Christmas!

No comments: