Monday, September 5, 2011

Workin' for the Weekend!

It seemed as if the week would never end since I was so looking forward to that 3 day weekend. Plenty was crammed into it though, so it helped to keep busy. We wound up the month of August financially -- where does the time go?!? The clinic financials were considerably up and it seems that a bat exposure to the Garner girls volleyball team which lead to a bunch of them needing immunoglobulin and rabies vaccines boosted the $$$ for the clinics. Now we just hope their insurances pay for the vaccines! We seem to be on the slow side upstairs in the inpatient department but that always seems to fluctuate. We have been busy fairly consistently so I guess we are about due for a little dip in census.

Reed, Mike and I went for a meeting regarding his Opportunity Village work evaluation. He needs to work on his communication skills and overcoming some of his shyness but is more than capable to physically do anything that is asked of him (I already knew that one!) So now he is put on a list for the enclave work and waits for a position to open up and funding to be ready. It is also not a very good time for him as his case worker retired August 31st and the replacement doesn't start until September 12th. He may kind of be put on hold for a little while until the transition is done. In the meanwhile, he continues to work with Dad and Dan Chizek on the farm. I think he misses the structure of a "job" but for now this will have to do. Hopefully something will open up and he will be able to go to work at the village soon.

Micah started classes on Monday and assures me that all is going well. He had to get his laptop fixed and apparently that is done since I have chatted with him on facebook this week. He stayed at Dubuque over the holiday weekend as it is kind of a long drive and I don't think he misses us enough yet to drive 4 hours to see us.

A friend and co-worker had some bad news this week. Her mom, who had had a stroke years ago, was having some symptoms of possibly having had another -- she had some left sided weakness, personality change, depression, etc. She has no health insurance (well she does have Iowa Cares) but finally went to the doctor. They did a CT scan and it showed some changes from her last scan. Since she has Iowa Cares, they said she needed to go to Fort Dodge to be seen and then they would refer her to University of Iowa (the lady lives in Northwood -- doesn't all that make a whole lot of sense?) Anyway, Fort Dodge couldn't believe they didn't send her straight to U of I and they sent her to the ER there where she had an MRI and was admitted as an inpatient. Kim called me at work Friday to tell me that the MRI showed that she has a mass on her brain which the doctors highly believe is malignant. The pressure from the growth of this mass was what was causing her symptoms. They then did a full body scan and found no other cancer in the body. She is going to have a biopsy on Tuesday (Sept. 6) so everybody keep her in your prayers!

Friday night the guys left me home all by myself. Instead of the usual "bubble of serenity" that I am allowed in the house, I had the whole "house of serenity". I talked to my friend, Kim on the phone and then called my sister, Cyndi. She lives in Swisher and I asked if Kim and her sister could stay with her while her mom has surgery if they need to. It was good to catch up with Cyndi. It just happened that she also had the house to herself with no guys. She was spending her time watching 'Gilmore Girls' DVDs since her hubby and son wouldn't really get into those.

Saturday morning came and I decided to go shopping...in Britt. I went to the Flower Cart to see what they had for mums. Since there were 3 funerals this past week, they were all but cleaned out but will be getting more this week. After that I decided to go to Main Street. I stopped in at Fedders to browse. They have such neat jewelry and home decor but usually when I go in there it is to pick up a prescription quickly after work. This time I got to browse through all of the pretty things. I ended up buying a bracelet and a pair of earrings. They are just getting in a bunch more jewelry that she didn't have on display yet but I'd better pace myself! After I got out of there I noticed it was getting to be almost lunch so I texted Mike to see if he and Reed wanted to go to the Titanium Lunchbox for lunch. I went to get some paper towels and other "stuff" at Dollar General while I waited for his reply. We went up there to eat lunch and after that I dropped by my folks' to visit a little bit. All in all, I didn't really get much accomplished except for a few loads of laundry that day but I had fun.


Gabby came home for a full 24 hours this weekend. She got home about 8 ish on Saturday night. Mike started a little fire and we all sat around the fire and listened to the Cyclone game on the radio. I was actually prepared and had the makings for s'mores. I had the giant marshmallows to roast so they were extra big s'mores. Apparently they were extra messy too as Gabby and Mike kind of wore theirs on their faces. Even Mugsy is wearing marshmallow -- Gabby got a glob of it on his back. I noticed it the next day when we were going for a walk. The flies are going to just love him! We had a good time joking around and to celebrate the Cyclones' victory, Mike lit some bottle rockets which traumatized the dog. He just decided it would be safer to jump in the back of the truck.

Gabby went to the draft horse show on Sunday afternoon (the real reason she came home!). Once she got home we grilled pork patties and portabella veggie burgers and baked some potato wedges. I had some mushrooms that I sauteed' and Gabby and I had the portabella veggie burgers with mushrooms and swiss cheese on them. Yummy! After supper, Gabby loaded up and went in to see Grandma and Grandpa before she hit the road for Cedar Falls. She will be taking care of the farm alone this week as her boss heads out East to get married. Hope everything goes well for her!

This morning I got to sleep in -- until 7:30! Got up, ate some yogurt and decided to put dishes away from the dishwasher. Started putting silverware away and...mouse droppings in the silverware drawer!!! I yelled for Mike and only the silverware drawer, the knife and misc. utensil drawer next to it and the pantry floor had mouse "tracks". Now to figure out where they are getting in! Needless to say, my morning was cleaning out drawers and washing silverware and knives and such. This afternoon we went to Mason City (which was our plan all along) and bought mouse traps!!! We'll see what the morning brings!

No comments: