Sunday, September 18, 2011

All in all, it hasn't been too bad of a week. Monday started out kind of crappy. I went to work still on the Cyclone victory buzz but by 10:30 my head was pounding. I went home early, took some Excedrin and went to bed. By the end of the day, I was feeling much better. I'm not sure if it was something in the air but as it turns out, my daughter had a headache too that day.



Mike took day AND night call for the ambulance crew on Monday and night call for the remainder of the week. While I was still lucid on Monday, I made a "date" for us to go to the Clay County fair on Thursday and took the day off. However, at 3:58 a.m. on Thursday morning the pager went off. It was a transfer to .... Iowa City! That put the fair off the agenda for the day. I laid there for a few minutes before going back to sleep and tried to determine whether I should just get up in a couple hours and go to work or just take the day off and do whatever. I opted for the latter. Once I did roll out of bed, I posted my predicament on Facebook and my niece had a brilliant suggestion ... come to Des Moines and get my hair done! Why didn't I think of that?!? So I did a few things around the house and got in the car and headed south. I arrived at 'Bobby Hair' a little before 1 p.m. I was treated to a new style and color while we caught up with each other's lives. After leaving the salon, I went over to Cato's and nabbed a few really cute shirts for fall (can't bear to call them winter clothes!). By the time I got done there, I looked at the clock and decided I had better get out of the city before the working stiffs hit the road and all hell broke loose! So I made my way up to Ames to check out and see what the mall there was like these days. I've gotta say, it is no better than when we lived there 25 years ago. I can't believe the doors are still open! Once my curiosity was satisfied, I headed home but took Hwy 69 which we haven't driven on in years...and I know why. Yuck! Anyway, I got home and yes, my hair was a big hit with my family and friends. The next day at work people kept coming to my desk saying, "Oh, I just had to come see your hair. I love it!" I asked Kim if I missed the page overhead that Kristi got her hair cut or something!

My mom's birthday was Saturday so I decided to bake some pumpkin bread and take a loaf to her. I called her in the morning and she seemed a little "down" so she was glad to see me when I went in that afternoon. She was surprised by the pumpkin bread as she was just looking for her recipe and was about to make some herself. Saturday was the funeral for her best friend from high school, Rosie. She talked a lot about high school days with her, the guys she and Rosie used to date and such. Now all of my parents' wedding party have died, leaving only the bride and groom. It's funny how we all take our family and friends for granted while we are young. We kind of figure they will be part of our lives forever. I guess living a long life not only lets you see a lot of joy and happiness but also your fair share of grief.

As of this afternoon, it's just Reed and I hangin' out and watching 'Dodgeball: A True Underdog Story' which I have seen a hundred times but, oh well. Mike took call for the afternoon and evening and was called out and that call ended up being a transfer to...Des Moines! He just has some kind of luck!

Mike is supposed to get one of his pig buildings filled this week and hopes to get everything out and maybe even start harvesting a little this week weather permitting.

1 comment:

Micah A. Hejlik said...

Rosie died. Oh, send Grandma my condolences. Micah