Sunday, October 2, 2011

October Begins

I know, I know. It's been a LOONNGG time since I have last posted! Lots of different things going on and I may be jumping around chronologically but I'll try not to confuse too much.

Kim Hillenga's mom, Mary Witte, is now living in Britt close to her daughters. She goes tomorrow (Monday) to see the oncologist to set up radiation treatments and discuss the game plan. She is doing pretty well but misses living in her own home. It's always nice to be in your own familiar surroundings and be, as I call it, in your own "bubble of serenity". We continue to pray for her and her family and be thankful for each day they have with her.

This week brought some tragic news to our community. Tracy (Schlichting) Reynolds' husband, Darin, took his life on Wednesday. Sadly, Tracy was the one who found him. It is difficult to understand how much pain someone must be in to believe that is the answer. Tracy is battling cancer herself and lately has been doing quite well. Her father, Wayne, was diagnosed with the same kind of cancer as Tracy but the battle is a little tougher for him right now, be it his age or maybe just how the disease and treatment affects everyone differently. This has been quite a year for the Schlichting family and I just don't know how much more bad news they can take. Steve, Tracy's brother, works a lot with Mike and this is all quite hard on him as well. Keep this family in your thoughts and prayers as well. The funeral on Saturday was difficult. Their daughter, Jamie, just sobbed when the casket was removed from the room to close the lid. Then the song "The Dance" was played and it just reminded me of my brother's funeral and made me think of him and how much I miss him. Just when I think that I've gotten over that loss, things like this pop up to remind me.


Mike had a dandy of a birthday on Thursday. It was a day of getting in the field and combining. It is very dry out and that day it was extremely windy. A terrible fire started in a field south of us by Kanawha. Then, I got a call at work from my sister asking me what my address was. I thought, "What a stupid question!" I told her and asked why and she said the fire trucks had been summoned there due to a field fire. It seems some of the soybean cuttings fly around and hit the hot combine exhaust and the wind takes the embers and the rest is history. Luckily there were so many trucks in the area from surrounding towns that the trucks showed up right away. Fortunately only a few acres were damaged and it did not spread into any other fields.

One kind of funny thing happened since the last post. My mom went to the dentist and told him to "be careful, something just feels funny in there". He barely touched her front tooth and it fell out in his hand. She looks like a witch not and it will be the end of October before she gets her partial in and back to looking normal. At least she is joking about it! I don't have a picture to share of her...don't think she wants to go there!

In other big news, Gabby will more than likely be moving to.....VIRGINIA! She has been on the phone and e-mailing a farm there. They did criminal record, driving, and credit checks on her. She flew out this past week for a couple of days to look at the farm and the area. It is in Milford and is a rural area. They are a farm with Arabian horses. She is provided a small house, utilities, health insurance along with a wage. She will also have some holidays off as there are two other workers there. As of this writing she hasn't called back to make it official but it looks as if it is a 'go'. She came home this weekend to break the news to Grandma and Grandpa herself. We'll see what this week brings for news on that front. I might be moving a daughter to Virginia soon!

I'll try to blog a little more often, especially with that last mind blower!

No comments: