What a busy time of year and we are adding to the mix with a big family change. Gabby is taking a job in Milford, Virginia so that means we must get her moved and settled over 1,000 miles away. Mike is busy harvesting so there is no way he can get away to help get her settled.
Gabby will be working as barn manager at Sycamore Hill Farms. She will have a little house of her own to live in on the farm. Hopefully I will have pictures in the future.
This week of preparation for her move is extremely busy. Micah comes home on Wednesday for fall break and Gabby will be home sometime on Wednesday. I am actually taking some time off from work starting Thursday so that we can spend some time together as a family and get some things done before we hit the road. Despite Mike's being so busy, I am managing to work in getting some family pictures taken on Thursday. Friday afternoon we will head to Cedar Falls where Mike will fill the trailer up with big stuff that he will bring out to Virginia when he gets done with harvest. Gabby and I will pack her car up with everything she needs immediately to live until Dad comes and Saturday we will hit the road for Virginia. Looking at MapQuest it is looking to be a 20 hour drive so we hope to get there Sunday late afternoon/evening. I will stay out there and help Gabby get settled in and then fly back on Wednesday. Whew! I'm tired just typing about it!
I will survive the physical aspects of this life changing event but I kind of keep pushing the mental aspects to the back of my mind. This is such an exciting opportunity for Gabby. I don't know if I could be as brave and daring as she is. Looking back at my life when I was her age, it was an entirely different story. At age 24 I was married with one child and very much wanting to add another. I was working, I believe, for the same employer I am working for now. I would never have ever thought to leave the safety of my family and my community. I admire her greatly for taking the chance of doing this and not looking back to think "what if". I know it will be hard to have her so far away, but I know that I will see her again. Gabby has been the child who, after going to college, never moved home -- not even for the summer. She stayed where she, worked to get that $$. When she comes "home" now it feels like she is a guest and I guess that is as it should be when your children grow up. I hope she doesn't get too homesick but suspect she will when the holidays roll around.
Today I was visiting with my mom and telling her that Thursday will probably be the day when "good-byes" are said. Her eyes welled with tears and she said that was going to be tough. I think for Gabby, as well as Grandma and Grandpa, the idea that at my parents' ages this very well could be the last time she sees them will make saying "good-bye" even more difficult. That is going to be a tough pill to swallow. If my dad reacts as he did when I went to college and then as he did at my wedding, it will be embedded in her memory forever as bittersweet. The thing that keeps my spirits lifted is knowing that Gabby is doing a job she loves. She absolutely loves horses and all her life has lived and breathed them. This is her dream and I hope and pray that she always loves her work as not everyone is that fortunate.
So until next post, wish us luck and safe travels!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment