Sunday, January 16, 2011

Preventive Medicine Week

Tomorrow I start my intensive week of grueling preventive medicine. Monday, I will get my labs drawn for my Tuesday physical. On Tuesday I also start my "clear liquid" diet in preparation for the colonoscopy on Thursday (my where did those 3 years go?!). I think the thing I dread most is stepping on the scales for my physical! I really am fearing that I will be needing to buckle down following the holidays. Once I get the colonoscopy prep out of the way, I should be about "one stomach flu away from my goal weight"! I haven't scheduled my mammogram yet but I'm sure they would "squeeze" me in any time (pardon the pun!). All of this follows an episode of what we believe to be my body working on a possible kidney stone. One of these days, I will be back to feeling "normal" -- whatever that feels like.

Mike and I are still rising and shining at 5:30 and getting our 30 minutes of walking in each morning. We didn't make it last Tuesday due to a wee bit too much snow overnight but made it the other days. I am thinking that we will be skipping Thursday morning as I will be busy running in the direction of the bathroom! I have to say, last Monday it was difficult to roll out of bed, but the other days seemed a little easier. The stairs seem to get easier every day too.

I am taking a couple of days off this week (one for the obvious) and we (Mike, Micah and I) plan on heading to Cedar Rapids to have a quick visit with my sister and we will probably pop in to see Fr. Dellaert and his digs. Of course we will have to stop in and pester Gabby and take our starving daughter out and see what she is up to. Hopefully the weather holds out and doesn't ruin our plans, but this is Iowa so who knows!

We did go to the WHAS Christmas party last night. Was a very small crowd compared to years past. I think that the caterer said they served 58. The service is really starting to be in need of some young blood as those charter members can't carry on forever! It's pretty bad when Mike is considered "young blood". He had a transfer to Rochester as back up crew on Friday nite/Saturday morning. We got the phone call at about 11ish on Friday night and the caller ID was the hospital phone number. Mike and I both kind of had the same thought in the back of our minds...which one of my parents is in the hospital now? I guess we can't help but think that when you get a call like that, especially at a weird time like that.

We started the plans for the annual St. Patrick's ham dinner after church today. Thank goodness this is our last year on the planning committee. Big thanks to Jim and Linda Arndorfer for joining the team and committing their time for the next 3 years! I do have to say that the time has really flown by for us.

My niece, Angela, was married this week at Turks/Caicos at a resort there. I see my sister posted some pics on facebook and hopefully she will have more to see and tell when I see her this weekend.

Now, we'll see just what excitement this week can bring!

No comments: