Thursday, July 7, 2011

I am catching myself starting to behave more and more like my mother -- good, bad or otherwise! For example, I have been soooo putting off going to the grocery store. Mike and Micah finally had it last week and went themselves but of course pretty much got nothing that we needed. We have been without I Can't Believe It's Not Butter for over a week now and that is really driving the boys crazy. They cannot stand stick butter -- and unbelievably I don't like the taste of it anymore either. I remember when I was a little kid, my mom would make my toast and sneak margarine on it but I would always be able to taste the difference and that made her soooo mad! I told her it just tasted "icky". Dad would say, "See, even she hates that crap!" Mom would have to make me another piece of toast because I would not eat that "oleo"! Now after eating the spread type of margarine for so many years, I can't get myself to go back to the real butter! I guess it's come full circle now.

This weekend also found me doing something my mom does. We tend to put things in the freezer because there is enough left to "do something with" someday. What tends to happen is our freezer gets too much "stuff" in it and sometimes we just need to clean it out before adding more. Since I was running low on groceries, this weekend was the perfect time to clean that freezer out. I was pulling out containers and baggies left and right. First I had to figure out just "what" that stuff was in there. Next I had to think of what to do with it to make it edible. I ended up making some chicken and rice (amazing that I had all the ingredients for that one!) and cream filled cupcakes. I had put away some of that leftover cream filling (it took all the guts I had to take a taste of that! It doesn't look too good frozen!) and whipped out a cake mix from the pantry and used up all my cupcake liners to make cupcakes. Of course, there are some things you just can't identify confidently enough to use and you end up throwing them out. I suppose I could label things -- but that would take all the fun out of it!

No comments: