What a whirlwind this last week has been! It seemed that every night there was something going on and in between all of that I had to get ready for the party at the culmination of it all. Micah was honored to receive some very good scholarship awards at the awards night on Tuesday. He received the Frances Bane and Paul Crockett scholarship and the West Hancock scholarship. These two totaled a very nice sum of money which will help immensely for tuition to Loras in the fall. He was absolutely thrilled and honored to receive these scholarships.
Note to any and all priests who read this blog: Sunday morning is NOT a good time for the mother of a graduate and church musician to open her e-mail from the priest that the songs chosen for mass are not satisfactory, particularly when he was sent the e-mail regarding them three days in advance. Here are that particular mom and Brenda practicing the song that he requested at 7:30 when he arrived at the church. Mind you, I do not mind playing music that is to the priest's liking, however, a half-hour's notice on graduation day no less is a little -- stressful -- shall we say. Oh well, it all turned out well and Mike thought we sounded great. Looks like we pulled another one out of our you-know-what.
The graduation ceremony went well. This was a particularly emotional class. The valedictorian choked through the tears to deliver her speech. Even some of the guys were sobbing on their way out after the ceremony. Got some good pics of the proud parents and siblings. I know it's hard to believe but there is a picture of Micah and Gabby in the same photo and they are both smiling and not growling at one another! That was just short of a miracle! We had a great time at the party and got to see a lot of relatives and friends that we have not seen for a while. Micah really enjoyed seeing some of his elementary special ed and support staff and they just were so excited to have been invited to this grand occasion and could hardly believe the young man standing before them. What a long way Micah has come since preschool! Micah received many nice gifts and cards with the precious money. Has set a goal to write at least 10 thank yous a day. He was caught up with the "thank yous" from the cards he received in the mail up until the day of graduation.
Mike has had the opportunity this week to literally play with my new camera that I bought for my vacation in March. Here are a couple of sample pictures he took, one at the awards night and the other at the graduation ceremony. Hmmmm...does he have a foot fettish that I was unaware of?
Besides taking goofy pictures all by himself, Mike is also prone to letting kids take pictures with my camera. I never know what I will see when I look at the pictures on my camera! Some of the pictures look like Mike needs to take some lessons from these kids...they aren't too shabby! Scary when kids know how to run your gadgets as well and sometimes better than we do!
Kind of nice to have a night where I have no goals to accomplish...just kind of "veg out". Mike and the boys are out making deliveries returning the chairs and etc. that we borrowed from other family. Micah delivered some leftovers to Frank and Shirley Wellik since they were unable to come to the party due to Shirley's recovering from knee surgery. I suppose I will have to put a few pieces of cake in the freezer for my nephew who couldn't make it on Sunday. We had plenty of meat left, a couple dozen buns (not bad for having 12 dozen to begin with!), 3-4 bags of Doritos left (I'm sure those won't go to waste!) but absolutely no Snicker salad left. My mom was promoting it right and left since it is one of her favorite things so everyone was eating it too! I think the folks' enjoyed seeing all of the people at the party, even though some of them they did not know. I even was brave enough to introduce my mother to Fr. Dellaert. I say 'brave' because I am now learning that payback is hell as they say. As a child, I was one of those kids who, when I opened my mouth to speak, my mother would cringe at that thought of what was going to come out. (I know that is difficult for you all to imagine!) Now my mother is the same way in her advancing years. She did not embarass me in front of Fr. Dellaert (at least she refrained from any potty-training stories!) but she did say a couple of things that made him chuckle.
Maybe things really will slow down for a while...wait, we have to get Gabby moved, Micah has a wedding to sing for the first weekend in June...knew it was too good to last! Oh well, I wouldn't want life to be totally boring now, would I?
No comments:
Post a Comment