Our last day in Venice started early. We awoke around 6ish to get ready for our busy day. For all my foodies out there, this is what I ate for breakfast:
Not the best breakfast I've ever had but not the worst either. Notice there is no BACON!!! I did survive but barely!
After we had all eaten breakfast we headed out for Plaza San Marco and a tour of Doge's Palace. The Doge was Venice's equivalent to a president I suppose. This picture is of San Marco and you can see an actual empty plaza before all the tourists arrive. The building in the background is St. Mark's Basilica and the bell tower. I did not get any pics of the Doge's Palace -- sorry! I could only take pic outside as picture taking was not allowed inside. The inside of the palace was the meeting chambers of the former government of Venice and its artwork that it entails and a walk through some of the jail cells there. The tour guide kind of took her sweet time and we had a very BRIEF tour of the basilica which was kind of a disappointment. I kind of felt like she didn't know her stuff. After the tours we had a glass blowing demonstration in one of the local glass making stores (along with a little sales presentation following -- imagine that!). Father Miller and were going to buy a flagon for Alan Doughan but weren't sure what size our tub stopper lid was so decided not to (there's a story in there!). We also saw some glass clowns that we thought about getting for Fr. Huber but decided -- nah -- he wouldn't appreciate that.
Once this was over we went back to the basilica where Fr. Miller said mass in the lower level -- right in front of the remains of St. Mark the Evangelist.
Words can't express and thoughts cannot encompass the feeling and idea of the history and greatness we are among on this trip.
The afternoon left us free to do as we wish so Cindy and I regrouped in our room and then went about town to shop and get those souvenirs which we were hoping to get in Venice (I can't tell exactly what we got because that would ruin the surprise for those of you who will be receiving gifts!) Here are a few random pics of our day.
These are some of the mosaics from St. Mark's Basilica. I can't see them clearly enough to tell exactly what they are on my little screen I am working from but I believe the second one is the death of Mark the Evangelist but somebody can correct me if I am mistaken.
Cindy and I doing our favorite thing -- posing for a picture outside of the basilica.
Last one for today -- Cindy spotted this sign while we were sitting enjoying gelato this afternoon (peach and tiramasu flavors!). I was hoping to spot Sheldon Cooper while I was here but no such luck!!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I'm so glad to see that you are having a great time in Italy so far. I am definitely praying for you guys. Also, happy news from home. Cousin Dan and Nicole are officially engaged to be married.
So grateful to be "connected" to your pilgrimage, Kristi, and happy it is going well. That breakfast croissant is a treat I recall, but share your sadness at no bacon. ;)
Post a Comment