The big weekend finally arrived. We were off to spend a couple of days in Dubuque to see how Micah is adjusting to college life and to explore the city a little more. I actually took off work a little early on Friday and we left home a little after 1. I had already made arrangements to meet up with Fr. Huber in Gilbertville. He left a message on my voicemail on the way down and I texted him when we got closer. We ended up meeting at a Starbuck's (how cliche' I know) in Waterloo and had a nice visit albeit too short. He had a meeting to get to with the American Legion (I can't wait to hear the outcome of that one!) and I was anxious to get to Dubuque to see Micah. I could always visit longer with him...there is always so much to catch up on and reminisce/joke around about.
We got to Dubuque and had quite a scenic tour while trying to find our hotel. We really need a GPS! I believe it would be quite the marriage saver! We got settled in the room and called Micah to see if he wanted to go out to eat. I was looking at the info in our room on the area and saw an ad for Mario's Italian Restaurant. I had vaguely remembered Fr. Huber telling me of a great Italian restaurant in downtown Dubuque and texted him quickly to make sure this was the one. After he affirmed that, we went to pick up Micah and made our way to Mario's. It is a family owned restaurant and the pasta is touted as being imported from Italy. Micah had the lasagna and he said it almost made him feel like he was back in Assisi. Ever since we got back from Italy he has been in search of a lasagna that tasted like that. I had the Pasta Stuffed Shells Florentine and Mike and Reed had spaghetti -- one had sausage and the other had meatball sauce. It really hit the spot!
On Saturday, we hit a couple of stores to get Micah ready for winter. We picked Micah up and had a light breakfast at -- where else -- McDonald's. We stuck to cinnamon melts and beverage. I had some Kohl's cash to spend so we went there and got Micah a new winter coat, gloves and hat and some winter shoes to wear when hiking around campus in the snow and ice. He was also in need of some jeans and long sleeve shirts/sweatshirts. With that mission accomplished, we found a Shopko and picked up a cheap new chair to replace the half-broken one we sent to college with him that was not completely broken. We got back to the dorm and hauled everything up to his room -- which I had not been in since we moved him in. Oh my is all I can say. I tidied up as best I could while Mike and the boys put the chair together. The room was a little crowded with the four of us in there but I managed to pick up the trash and hang up the new purchases. We helped Micah discover that, lo and behold, there is a vacuum cleaner just two doors down in the student closet that he can use at any time. I got it out, plugged it in and barked orders at the boys (it's what I do best!) to move things while I quickly vacuumed. After all of this we were famished. We went to The Pub and grabbed a quick bite before heading back to the hotel. We rested there before the Dessert Concert that night. It was a great concert but a little long. Some of the song performances were hilarious, which makes it a little awkward when you laugh at a performance that is supposed to be serious. There were a few original compositions that were absolutely outstanding. You can really tell the upperclassmen's performances. They are so confident and almost professional. I had to laugh at the jazz band's performance of music as we were being seated. I recognized a couple of songs that our high school band played -- better. Mike even remembered these songs and agreed. Also heard some songs that we played in pep band during basketball games -- pep band, now that takes me back a few years!
I awoke this morning with somewhat of a surprise -- my face was swollen and puffy as if I perhaps had an allergic reaction to something. Mike is trying to tell me it was the chocolate I ate the day before...as if! I think it could be something in the hotel's laundry as I used a washcloth before turning in and I had not used a washcloth on my face the night before. Anyway, my were all puffy and I had Angelina Jolie lips! We packed it all up and went to mass at Loras (nobody there knows what I'm supposed to look like except Micah and he said, "MOM, What the...!?!"). The mass was okay but it felt like I was at another concert with the extra music. Also, if I have to sing "I Am the Bread of Life" again in the next ten years it will be too soon. Since there were so many people there, it took singing it through at least 3 times to get everyone through the line -- keep in mind there are 5 verses! Once mass was finally done, we went for brunch at Perkins and then took Micah back to his dorm. Mike and Reed went up to the room to change their clothes for the road and go to the bathroom before we left. I, on the other hand, being the only girl in the group, stayed back and changed into jeans in the back seat (no comments from the peanut gallery!). Once all of this was accomplished we hit the road.
This weekend would not be a complete "family" weekend without the Gabster and we were reminded of her when we saw these statues near our hotel. I hope her horses she takes care of fare better than these two! We stopped at Cedar Falls on our way home to visit her. We took her out for a snack (I think we just ate our way through the weekend!) We also bought her a few groceries. I really wish I could find the time to go and spend the weekend with her, just me, myself and I. We could get a few things accomplished around her apartment and go out and have some fun together. I really HAVE to make that happen!
Feels good to get home again, although on the way home, Mike learned that his Uncle Bill Martin passed away. The funeral will be in Ladysmith, WI and I believe that Mike and a couple brothers are going to it. I haven't really even thought about what my week has in store for me, I'm just trying to get over the whirlwind of this weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment