Saturday, November 20, 2010

Mike and I took an "early weekend" this week and headed down to Cedar Falls on Friday. Mike had an early (5 a.m.) load out of pigs and then we went to mass as it was being said for his dad. Friday would have been Cletus' 81st birthday. Following mass we hit the Hobo House for a little breakfast and then went home to load up a bunch of stuff to take to Gabby's. I was originally going to drive separately and spend a "girls" weekend with Gabby but Mike decided kind of at the last minute to come along. I believe I know why he was hesitant to let me drive and it is out of love that he does so. I believe deep down he feels that I am about due for another seizure. I know that he is just trying to protect me as well as others but it is kind of frustrating knowing that I will never truly have my freedom back.

We hit the road an hour after our goal of 10 but we had no definite plans anyway so it was no big deal. When we got to Gabby's, we unloaded some of the thing we had brought down. I started cleaning her rusty toilet and shower with some kick-ass cleaners. It took a good hour but I got the job done. I don't think the previous owners really had a clean house as a high priority. After that was done, we took Gabby out shopping to pick out her birthday present -- a full sized mattress. We brought an old bed frame down and bought her a mattress and the "value package" (no, it is not fries and a drink!). The value package was two pillows, a mattress pad and a mattress care package (protectant, stain removers...) We also picked up some curtains for her huge sliding glass door and curtain rods. Gabby went out to help with some chores and Mike and I did some more work like washing some windows and Mike set up the ginormous TV that we took down that we used to use. It needs a new lamp so Mike ordered that and it will be arriving shortly for her to put in. When chores were done we took Gabby and Paige (Gabby's boss) out for supper. We picked a heck of a weekend to go to Cedar Falls with the state football games but it wasn't too bad. After supper, we worked some more, Mike hanging the curtains and Gabby and I making up her bed and working in the kitchen a little. Finally at about 10 we drove off to the hotel and collapsed.

Gabby said it was kind of weird sleeping in a new bed and a new room but once she got to sleep it was great. We slept in (if you call 7:30 sleeping in) and then went to I-Hop for breakfast before making a couple of stops to pick up a few odds and ends at Target. Then we headed back to Gabby's to empty out her old room so the roommate can move in on Monday. Once this was done, we emptied all the trash and loaded up an old broken chair, took some pictures and headed for home.







Come to find out from my dear daughter, that she and Mike think I have "scary hair". Mike said it's not that it's an awful thing, he's just not used to it being longer and so curly. I have started to grow it out and let the natural wave take over. Other people tell me they like my hair but apparently my family aren't fans.

I got some interesting mail this week. My dear surgeon sent me a little note to say that it is time to schedule my colonoscopy. Where did those 3 years go?!? I know I need to do it but I want to see how the change in health insurance will affect reimbursement so maybe I will wait until after our meeting on December 1st to decide.

The National Christmas tree makes its way through Britt on its way to the final destination of Washington D.C. tomorrow. Unfortunately we will be in church when it arrives so will miss all the hoopla. Oh well, we'll just have to watch it on the news.

At some point I have to get some baking done for a bake sale on Wednesday and make two pies for Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday. Looks like it will be another crazy week but I guess we have to have some excitement in our lives once in a while. Micah will be heading home on Tuesday from Dubuque so I am praying for good weather for him on his journey. In the meantime I will just have to take the week one day at a time.

No comments: