Sunday, June 19, 2011

Wonderful Weekend Away

We, (well, okay, it was more like "I"), decided that this weekend would be a good weekend for Mike and I to get away while we could. Our anniversary is on Thursday, which is also the big wide-excision of the nose surgery for me. Didn't figure that day would be full of romance so thought it would be fun to take some time and head out of town. We left Friday after I got off work and went to Des Moines. We stopped in Ames, thinking we would see some of our old stomping grounds from our "honeymoon" years. Mike thought it would be kind of fun to go to that Taco Bell that opened on Lincoln Way when we were there. We were quite taken aback when we came upon it and the windows were boarded up. We then looked for the location of Battle's BBQ (or at least where WE knew it to be). There was some Mongolian restaurant there. Yuck. So we headed down Duff where you can't sneeze without spraying a restaurant. We saw a Jimmy John's and decided that was good enough. As we were sitting there enjoying our sandwiches and taking in the ambience, Mike noted that everyone here looks so young. I laughed and wondered if we thought that of people our age when we were living there. Then my eyes caught the Jimmy John's logo which states that they have been "serving since 1983", as if that is such a loooong time. Kind of a slap in the face to say the least!

After we got done with our meal, we headed to the Embassy Suites in downtown Des Moines. We got to sleep in all weekend (like until all of 6:30 -- fortunately I was able to go back to sleep for another hour though!). Saturday was spent doing a little shopping at Valley West mall. Our Garmin then got us to "Bobby Hair" as I have it programmed where my niece, Bobby, gave me a new cut and color. Decided to go back to the color of my roots (my dark ones, not those other lighter colored ones!). She took a lot of hair off and it feels a lot better. Once we got done there and said our 'good-byes' to Bobby, I just had to head to Cato's since it was just across the street. After that, we just happened to pass by Sacred Heart Church just 25 minutes before mass was to begin. Sooo, in we went. Sacred Heart is one of those newer church buildings with the multiple aisles, skylight above the altar and "touchdown Jesus" instead of Jesus on a crucifix. As we were sitting there before mass, the 'flower lady' was on a ladder putting the fake greenery up in the area behind the main altar. The songs were all familiar except for one and it is one that I don't care to teach the people here at St. Pat's. The Gloria was sung and was totally unfollowable (which must be the reason why nobody sang!). What was most noticably different was that after the singing of the 'Lamb of God', nobody kneeled, they just kept standing all through communion. Mike and I knelt as we usually do and I did see a handful of others do so but we were definitely the minority. After mass, the lady sitting in front of us turned and asked if we were parishoners there. I said, "No, we're just visiting." She said, "Shucks, I was going to ask you to join the music department!" Look out, Brenda! She might make a better offer! LOL!

After mass, we went back to freshen up and change our clothes and then we went out to find Yanni's in Altoona. It was a restaurant that served Greek and Italian food -- the best of both worlds! We ordered an appetizer of slices of Asiago cheese that were fried and served "flaming" at our table just for fun. I had the Greek trio -- Spanikopita, lamb and veal. Mike was really brave and ordered a steak. After we were done eating we drove around trying to find a movie theater but all movies had already started and we're just getting too old to stay up for the "late show" so we went back to hotel and called it a night.

Sunday morning came too quickly and it was time to check out of our suite. We decided to forego the complimentary breakfast and headed to the Iowa Bakery. I had been there with Bobby last time I was in Des Moines and I thought Mike would enjoy it -- and he did. After that we headed to Ames and went through Rieman Gardens. Since today was Father's Day and (duh) Mike is a father, he got in free! What a deal! After this we really thought we had better get home. On Saturday night, just as we were heading out to the car to go to dinner, Gabby called and asked if we were going to be around. She was just about ready to come home. So we really wanted to get home to see her since she had to leave Sunday night.


We got home and Gabby was already in at my parents' house. So the crew got in gear and headed to Grandma and Grandpa's house. Turns out my sister, Cyndi, came up for the day to see Dad and Deb and her family were all there as was my niece, Jamie. This also gave me the chance to see the new truck my dad got. He really needed a new truck like a hole in the head but I guess it's his money to spend as he likes. It is navy blue in color so it shows every speck of dust (as does my car). I'm not sure how he gets in it as the wheels are 18" but it does have running boards so I am sure that helps. I am quite certain that my mother will NEVER be able to get in it though.


Since we so rarely get all my kids together (I never thought in a million years that statement would apply to me!), I had my brother-in-law snap some photos of us. Not too bad a looking group of people, don't ya think?

1 comment:

B Smith and family said...

Glad you had a nice get away! We missed you. When my husband Mike and I go back to Ames we feel the same way:) I can't wait to hear more about the music. See you soon!