Sunday, October 3, 2010

Fun Weekend with a Lot Accomplished


This was quite a weekend. Gabby came home on Friday night with the request that she be able to sleep in on Saturday. Well, if you know me that puts shopping right out the window so the wheels in my mind were turning as to what plan B would entail. I decided while I had her home, we would do some baking like 'old times'. Even growing up, I never minded mixing the cookie dough but hated baking the cookies. My mom always liked to bake the cookies but hated mixing the dough so we were a perfect match. I molded my daughter to fit in with that perfect match we made three different kinds of cookies. I mixed up chocolate crinkles, chocolate chip and molasses cookies. I also baked pumpkin bread which just sounded like a good Fall food to have. We were 'baking fools' until early afternoon then we had to turn into the cleaning crew. Between the two of us we made quick work of the clean up and we now have some goodies in the freezer for Mike and Reed to work on making disappear this week.


Early Saturday morning, my mom called me to tell me that my niece, Rachel, was here from Boston. So of course that meant that we had to get in there and play some cards before she left. Once we had our baking done and the kitchen cleaned, I packaged some of our goodies and took them in to my mom and dad's. They all got rave reviews and when my dad ate the molasses cookies he said, "These taste just like the cookies my mom used to make." That is a definite thumbs up as my grandma made THE best molasses cookies ever. However, I had my doubts about these being just like hers since I do not use lard in my cooking. My mom, my niece, Rachel, my sister, Deb and her husband, Pat, Gabby and I all played cards for the rest of the afternoon and evening. We had a riot -- they were just nice relaxing games of cards. Nobody was all serious and cut-throat about the game. That's the way it should be! We ordered pizza from Dolittles and Mike and the guys came in from the field and joined us for supper. Mike just finished combining beans right before supper and had yet to unload the last loads. That's a good feeling!


Mass was packed today as this was the first day of preschool classes which are held during mass. A few people you don't normally see there but mostly a lot of farmers wanting to come to church so they can head out into the field as soon as possible. Brenda and I had a little fun with our latest acquisition in the music department. We got this fancy new headset microphone and now I can announce songs and sing from the bathroom if necessary (although I'm not quite sure how I would hear the accompaniment from there!). While Fr. Huber is purchasing new vestments with his mega memorial money in Gilbertville and Fr. Dellaert is purchasing a new funeral vestment and pall with memorial money in one of his parishes, I just thought I would show them how the Phillistines here in North Iowa are using their memorial money. We can't wait to use it but I'm sure they are both rolling their eyes upon reading this!



When we returned home from church and breakfast, everyone started to get ready to do some project. I think Gabby thought she was going to get out of it but nooooo! I recruited her to go out and help me pick up walnuts (AGAIN!). I then fired up the mower for the last time this year (AGAIN!). Surely it will get cooler and that dang grass will stop growing. I really need to wash my windows but am holding out a little longer for some more of the harvest around our house to be done. I have a certain dog who keeps getting paw prints on our bay window. He is such a baby thinking he needs to be let in the garage when it gets a little chilly.

In looking back at pictures, he could still fit on my lap at this time last year. I don't think I want to try that now! He is such an affectionate dog but when you pet him, the other one has to be right there to join in. It gets to be kind of difficult, like trying to rub your tummy and pat your head!

Ten more days until Micah comes home! I have a haircut this week and a wedding to get through this weekend. I also have been given the honor of being Dad's ears at his cardiology appointment this week as my oldest sister is busy. She is entrusting me with this great honor so I guess I have to just stop being cute and keeping everyone entertained (that seems to be the duties of the babies of families) and start whistling "If I Only Had a Brain" while I see what Dad's orders are from the doc. That should be interesting.

No comments: