The start of this weekend is not too promising. When I got to work, one of my co-workers (Carmen Smith) said that she got a call in the middle of the night from Mercy in Mason City as her aunt, Phyllis Korneisel, had surgery yesterday had a massive coronary event and was in ICU. Carmen then picked up her Uncle Bob and stayed over there with him until their daughter, Marcia could get there from Ames. Later in the morning she received a call from her dad saying that they had declared Phyllis brain dead and were now waiting for the boys to get home before they will take her off the ventilator. That was quite upsetting as she is just one of those ladies I have known all my life and it was even more upsetting for my sister, Deb, as she was like a second mother to her. Phyllis was Deb's boss in medical records until she retired and Deb took the reins. Deb just played cards with her last Wednesday and is in PEO with her as well. This is just kind of stunning news when she just went in yesterday and had pretty much routine surgery.
As if that weren't enough, I heard my sister get paged overhead to call one of the clinic doctor's numbers. I was a little suspicious of this and then I heard Dr. Butler get paged to call the very same number. My dad had some way out of line labs, sodium was low and he is way dehydrated and needed to be admitted. So Deb went out to the farm to retrieve him. He didn't put up much of a fight so he must have not been feeling well. He did complain that he has been noticing he is a little dizzy lately. So he is up in the hospital getting "fluffed up" as Dr. Butler puts it. They are soooo busy upstairs that he actually has a roommate. That almost never happens in Britt but it is crazy upstairs.
By the way it is also my mom's birthday today so "Happy Birthday Mom!" She brought carmel and pecan rolls to her exercise class and they were yummy! It looks like we will spend a little more time at the hospital this weekend but at least it is just uptown and not all the way over in Mason City. Dad absolutely loves Dr. Butler and really is a good patient -- except I know he will be sneaking in some Copenhagen. The sign on the door only says "No smoking", they didn't say anything about no chewing tobacco!
I also had to go up and see my buddy, Jim Wilhite, who is also a patient. He is always so happy to see me and it is worth taking a few minutes of my time for his wonderful hugs and to hear him say that I am just "the most beautiful girl in the world". I just absolutely adore him.
I think that Deb and Mom and I will get together for supper tonight as all our men are gone. Deb's guys are at the Clay County Fair for racing. Mike and Reed will be at the football game as it is homecoming. BTW, Taylor Formanek and Ryan Swanson are the homecoming queen and king for all you Britt natives who might be curious.
Hope the rest of the weekend goes better than this day has!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
I really expected Taylor to be queen. But, I thought that Andrew was going to be King. But, I found out that he was never in the running. I am heartily sorry for Carmen and Deb. Tell Grandma have a happy belated birthday. Also, tell her I love her. She's my favorite girl. I talked with a lot of people and sang a lot as well. There was a Fall Welcome Night at Eagle Point Park. A few things are downish, but will recover. Chat with you tomorrow. Love you.
Post a Comment