Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back Home Again



Dad's back home again after nearly a week in the hospital at Mason City. He is refusing any surgical treatment for his heart and was pretty much coerced into Coumadin to treat the clot around his heart and using other meds to try to get his heart into somewhat of a normal rhythm. They are changing his diabetic meds and trying to get him to monitor his weight so he doesn't retain fluids and have to do this all over again. So far his about as compliant as a Norwegian can be, and that's saying a lot. While we were at his house last night, he started talking about maybe going out to the shop in the morning and sharpening his mower blades. Now that's a really good thing to do when you've just been started on Coumadin don't ya think?!? Cyndi and I strongly suggested that maybe that would not be a great idea. It turns out that he is a little weaker than he thought. He did drive out to look at the crops and goofed around the shop a little but he notices his energy level is down and he complains of a little dizziness. He goes in tomorrow to get his INR checked and sees his local dr. next week for a follow up. I wasn't crazy about his color last night but when I saw him today he appeared a little better. He lost a total of 22 lbs. while he was in the hospital. We are really going to have to keep an eye on the water retention though. I really don't want him to have to go through all that again.

Mom is really glad to have him home and be able to stay home (except for getting her hair done and going to the hospital to exercise twice a week). I told her to remember that when we are in the middle of winter and she hasn't been out of the house for a few weeks! Cyndi will go back home tomorrow and we will see how the two of them do with just Deb and I peeking in on them.

We started Faith Formation this evening so I spent the evening at church with the Family mass and then, of course, visiting with parishoners and priests. Fr. Hertges had a friend from seminary visiting for a few days and we visited with them. I asked Fr. Hertges who he was going to be rooting for this weekend and much to my dismay he said the Hawkeyes. He said he wasn't a "die-hard" and won't be doing any cartwheels over the game so maybe we can convert him yet!

I get to wear jeans to work and Cyclone apparel as a fundraiser for Relay for Life. If I pay $3, I get the privilege of wearing jeans. If I pay $5 I can not only wear jeans but have a walking taco for lunch w/pop. Now there's an offer I just can't refuse!

Better go and get a little laundry and other housework done. Got to experience going to the grocery store with Mike after church. If that is what retirement holds, I am going to need to pray for much more patience! He is just one big kid only he hasn't thrown any fits yet (in public, that is! LOL!).

No comments: