Thursday, February 19, 2009

Tiring Thursday






We started today out very early, leaving the hotel at 7 a.m. for mass at one of the side altars of St. Peter's Basilica. It was a great chance to see the basilica before all of the museum crowd enters for the day. Following that, we became museum crowd as we toured the Vatican museum. The art is absolutely breath-taking and the deeper meaning of all that is there awe inspiring. After lunch we took a tour of the four major cathedrals in Rome. It was a LOT of walking today and I know a certain Mr. Hansen who will be slathering up with some Biofreeze before bed tonight!

Tomorrow is another early morning as we head out for Assisi. We are assured another long day and probably a cooler day as they do have some snow there it is reported.

To the HCMH maintenance department -- here is proof of the good time Craig is having on this trip!

Brenda S. -- I don't think we had better try playing this organ (especially on Sunday mornings following card club!) Yes, that is the seat way above the door! It would be a long, hard fall! (I definitely won't be playing Faith of Our Fathers on that organ!)

Father Huber -- please note what Paul is wearing in the picture of he and his son, Jeff. Yes, blessed be the Cyclones!!! Now he can wear his "holy" jacket every time he comes up to ring the bells for weekday mass. I'm glad someone thought to bring some Cyclone regalia as the thought did enter my mind but it got all combobulated with all of the other thoughts and didn't ever make it to fruition.

The last picture is a picture of Father Dellaert walking across St. Peter's square on Wednesday. He is looking very official, isn't he?

Now for the food report (per my co-worker's request). Breakfasts are the same buffet every day -- eggs, hard rolls, deli ham, cheese, fresh fruit and pastries. Tonight we had a first course of pasta and tomato sauce, bread, chicken breasts with a kind of tater-tot like mashed potato, salad and a cake with a pudding type of filling in between the layers. For lunch today, I ate tortellini and tiramasu. It was delicious. I would KILL for a real Diet Coke about now and I know a lot of others in the group who think the same. Am not drinking as much water as I am used to but if one drinks water one also has to go to the bathroom and you never know when your next one will roll around.

Better go as I must get to sleep as I will have another short night I am afraid.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Since we picked our dad out of the crowd so quickly, we are wondering if they have tried to recruit him for the mafia?? :) Thank you for doing this! It is something that we look forward to reading each day! And dad, just kidding about the mafia! Love you guys! By the way, Eric lost his first match and wrestle back at state wrestling. The Hansen Girls

JulieAllyn said...

Hope Assissi is a good day for everyone. I know my mom (Mike Clark) was looking forward to this.

Go Cyclones!

Marge Ryerson said...

Craig, you need to smile and "pretend" you are having fun!
Maybe Marlene is having fun for both of you.
Sounds like you are all having a great time, lots of food and wearing out your shoes.
Its fun to watch your daily progress

Mary Ann said...

Love the group picture...thank you for posting it. It sounds like your days are full of incredible memory-makers. Soak in every bit of it that you can!

I've been asked to relay a message to Delores Yegge and Dolores Nelson (St. James, Forest City folks): Ivah Johnson's surgery was successful...she is to come home Friday, the 20th. (Thank you for being the messenger!)

Finally, to you, Kristi: I especially appreciated how you ended yesterday's blog...that your pilgrimage group is one big happy family looking after one another...may we all pray every day for that same intention for our six parishes.

Stephanie said...

Loved the photos! I hope
Dad & Marlene are having a
great time! We hope you're
all enjoying your trip!

Vicky Bell said...

Thanks for the daily updates. Please let the Bells from Garner know they will be able to see the boys basketball team take on West Fork when they return home. They beat Lake Mills Thursday evening 67-36. Go Cardinals!