Here we are, finally in Rome! Our group arrived just over 24 hours after the bus from Garner on Monday. Our trip went smoothly with all flights leaving on time except for the flight from Munich to Rome, which had a little bit of a delay due to snow in Munich so they were busy de-icing the plane prior to take-off. We got thru each airport effortlessly (although they all but had to strip search Craig in Minneapolis and Micah did get "wanded" in Munich). The overseas flight was a very good one with amenities that far surpassed any American airline companies I have flown. Mike, Micah, Father Pelzel and I were all in the "Business Class" or "Second Class" as Father puts it. The rest of the group got economy. The only difference as far as I could tell was our seats seemed just a wee bit bigger. Each seat had a screen on the back of the seat in front of it to choose what we wanted to watch individually. On each seat was a pillow, blanket and headset for the TV. We were served two meals on this flight. A supper which was a choice of chicken and rice with vegetables (Asian style) or pasta with tomato sauce and cheese. Both had a dinner roll, some kind of unidentifiable salad which we were discussing tonight at dinner, a piece of cheese and a dessert. We then tried to sleep but it was not easy for some of us. Father Pelzel did get four movies viewed during the flight however. Later in the flight, we had a light breakfast which consisted of another roll, cheese, fruit cup and a granola bar.
Miraculously, all of our group arrived safely in Rome, we had no lost luggage and no lost people which is pretty good since Father Pelzel took a head count in Garner and then again when we got on the bus at the Rome airport. Is he a great leader or what?
We just got back from dinner as a large group at the hotel. They just kept putting food in front of us!! First course was a large piece of lasagna and a dinner roll, which I think all of us thought was the only course. Then I looked over at Craig and Marlene and their eyes were popping out of their heads! Next came the real main course, some kind of meat (our table was betting it was veal), mashed potatoes and spinach. Then after they cleared those plates, they brought a bowl of mixed fruit. I hope I still fit into the clothes that I packed for this trip!
I am not attaching any pictures today. After 24+ hours in the same clothes, going airport to airport to airport, let's just say, it is NOT a pretty picture!! We are going to try to get some much needed sleep as our papal audience is in the morning and our guide is fearing that it may be outdoors in which case we will be wanting to get there very early and dress warmly. We all have a big day in store for us so will hopefully have more to tell tomorrow.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Glad to hear you got there safely and are having a good time. I bet Micah is really taking everything in- it will be so exciting for him. We've all been thinking about you today and were anxiously awaiting your post! Reed is doing OK but I think he is starting to miss you all- maybe when he sees the blog that will help. Mom, of course, has been worrying about you and wondering if you got there yet. I will print out your post and take down to her to read. Have a great time, and keep us posted!
So happy to hear that all went well with the trip and everyone made it there okay. My mother, Delores Yegge is on the trip with you. I know you all will have the time of your life and can't wait to hear the daily updates. I hope you get a chance to meet my mother and tell her we said hi and are thinking about her. Thanks again for your blog.
Janet
Glad to hear that the flight experience was a good one. Hope everyone can rest after that meal and be ready for your next big day. What a wonderful experience you are getting; enjoy every minute of it! Thanks for keeping us updated!
Karen Sankey
Relieved and happy to hear everyone arrived safely.
WH update: Girls basketball lost tonight to West Fork 53-47.
We'll be thinking of all of you!
Thank you for the update Kristi--the kids and I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you for doing this, Kristi...you have all of us in the Hancock/Winnebago parishes walking and praying with you on your pilgrimage...
I'll be glued to your blog every day!
Mary Ann Andersen, St. James, Forest City
THANK YOU for doing this blog. It is GREAT to stay "connected" and know everyone is safe and having a great time. Joan-Delores Yegge's daughter.
Glad to hear all is well. Please say hi to Father Brad, from Curt and tell Craig not to eat too much because we are letting his work pile up while is he gone!!! Have fun and be safe.
Thanks for doing this - it's great to hear about the trip! Tell Dad and Marlene we said "hi" and to take lots of pictures!
Stephanie (Leerar) Sonnichsen
Post a Comment