
A mere 23 years ago today, we were living in the grand city of Ames and I was about to give birth to my first child, Gabby. How it seems like time has just flown by, so much has happened in our lives since then yet some things remain just the same (like my age for example!). Gabby and I spent the day together doing what every mother/daughter team enjoys -- SHOPPING!! We hit the road this morning and headed for Mankato. We had a few minor glitches along the way so as to make the trip more interesting. First, Gabby was talking to me and distracting me and I missed a turn (oops...I always wondered what was beyond that turn and now I know -- a whole lot of nothing!). Next we were about to make the turn to head towards Mapleton when lo and behold the road was closed. We kept going on our road, thinking surely there will be another road that goes north sooner or later -- wrong again! So we turned around and went back, I was thinking I would just not listen to the road closed business (that kind of thing doesn't apply to us -- at least that's what I've learned from being married to Mike all these years!) but Gabby would hear none of it. So we drove in the opposite direction to see if we could find a decent road heading north -- negatory! We turned around again and this time I followed my gut instinct (which as it turns out I should have done from the beginning). There was a little place where water had gone over the road but this was limited to one lane and we were able to get around it. NOTHING was going to get in the way of us shopping!!!! We finally made it to Mankato and our first stop was, of course, Olive Garden. We both had the Ravioli Di Portabello and we split a piece of Black Tie Mousse Cake. (Once again I notice how easily I eat meatless meals on any regular day but come Friday I will be craving a juicy hamburger or some such nonsense!) From there we headed to the mall, Target and Dress Barn. Since it was her birthday, Gabby walked away from the shopping trip with more loot than did I (THAT is a rarity let me tell you!). She just might mature to the point of outshopping me yet!!
I picked up a couple of dresses for spring/summer. They look really hot with my tan -- if only I could keep it ALWAYS! Maybe before graduation I should go back to the islands and get a refresher! Gabby even got a couple of comfy dresses -- we might turn her into an actual girl yet by golly! I was so beat after we had finished at the Dress Barn that I let her drive home. Now I suppose we had better figure out just what we should feed these guys for supper (Lord knows we're not hungry!!).
Well, I'd better get to tidying up. Have to get that piano dusted as the piano tuner is going to come and tune my baby for me. I don't want him to think I am neglecting it. Also I must remember to head to the 5:45 mass as I have to provide the music -- don't want to let Fr. Dellaert down! Happy St. Patrick's Day to all!! Hope to see you at the dinner on Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment